Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re: The electrical excitation of quantum dots

1. Aug 15, 2018 #1
    We most often witness the presentation of quantum dots in viles or containers which are excited via UV light.

I am more interested in their electrical excitation.

Could I simply take a sample of QDs from one of those viles and passing an electrical current through that sample excite the quantum dots to produce their light?

QDs are often supplied suspended in toluene....Again....could I simple pass electrical current through such samples and expect the production of light via the QDs?

If some sort of preparation of the colloidal QDs were necessary in order to achieve electrophospherescence; what might that be and would I expect the production of more light than with application of UV .

In general terms....I am interested in the electrical excitation of QDs in liquid form/suspension.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2018 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Aug 20, 2018 #3
    I understand thar QDs are used in live tissue and in some of these applications they are excited electrically using voltages found within tissues. But do these QDS require special preparation to respond electrically ?

5. Sep 14, 2018 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Is toluene an electrical insulator? How much current could flow through toluene?
    What voltage or energy in eV is needed to break down the structure of toluene?

What would happen if you placed the QD in toluene between the plates of a capacitor and subjected it to an AC electric field?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  6. Sep 14, 2018 #5

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

We would need to know the electrical properties of the QD. You can pass an electrical current through some materials and they don't get appreciably excited.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted