Is This Proof of Interval Order Correct?

In summary, proofs are used in real analysis intervals to demonstrate the validity of mathematical statements and show the classification of intervals. There are various proof methods that can be used and visual aids or diagrams can be helpful but not relied upon solely. Proofs are usually necessary but may be assumed or omitted for simple intervals. Real-life examples can be used to aid in understanding but the proof must be based on logical reasoning.
cmajor47

Homework Statement

Prove that I<J if and only if x<y for every x[tex]\in[/tex]I and y[tex]\in[/tex]J.

Homework Equations

I=[r,s] and J=[u,v]
I<J means that s<u.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof by contradiction: Assume that I<J if x>y for every x[tex]\in[/tex]I and y[tex]\in[/tex]J.
Let I be the interval [r,s] and J be the interval [u,v].
x[tex]\in[/tex]I means r[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]s
y[tex]\in[/tex]J means u[tex]\leq[/tex]y[tex]\leq[/tex]v
Since x>y, u[tex]\leq[/tex]y<x[tex]\leq[/tex]s
Therefore u<s
However the definiton of I<J is s<u
This contradicts our statement
Therefore the original statement is true, I<J if and only x<y for every x[tex]\in[/tex]I and y[tex]\in[/tex]J.

I just wanted to make sure that this proof is correct and complete.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!

Yes, your proof is correct and complete. You have correctly used the definition of I<J and the properties of intervals to show that the assumption leads to a contradiction, thus proving the original statement. Well done!

FAQ: Is This Proof of Interval Order Correct?

1. What is the purpose of a proof in real analysis intervals?

A proof in real analysis intervals is used to rigorously demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. In the context of intervals, proofs are used to show that a given interval is either open, closed, or half-open, and to provide a logical justification for this classification.

2. How do I know which proof method to use when working with real analysis intervals?

There are various proof methods that can be used in real analysis intervals, including direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. The best approach will depend on the specific problem and the information given. It is important to carefully read the question and try different methods to determine which one is most appropriate.

3. Can I use visual aids or diagrams in a proof of real analysis intervals?

Yes, visual aids and diagrams can be helpful in understanding and presenting a proof of real analysis intervals. However, they should not be relied upon as the sole means of proof, as mathematical arguments must be based on logical reasoning and not just visual representations.

4. Is real analysis intervals proof always necessary?

In most cases, yes. Real analysis intervals are based on rigorous mathematical principles and require a proof to ensure the validity of any statements or theorems. However, for simple or well-known intervals, the proof may be assumed or omitted.

5. Can I use real-life examples to explain a proof of real analysis intervals?

Yes, real-life examples can be helpful in providing context and understanding to a proof of real analysis intervals. However, it is important to remember that mathematical proofs must be based on logical reasoning and not just on examples or intuition.

Back