1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis proof continuity

1. Nov 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that the function f is continuous on [a,b] and X1 and X2 are in [a,b]. Let K1 and K2 be positive real numbers. Prove that there exist c between X1 and X2 for which

f(c) = (K1f(X1) + K2f(X2))/(K1+k2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I know I am supposed to have attempted this before asking for help, but honestly I have looked at this problem for over an hour and cannot figure out what to use. I have tried looking at it in terms of Rolles Thrm, Intermediate Value Thrm, and Mean Value Thrm, but nothing is clicking. I also tried manipulating it just by moving things around. I don't seem to be getting anywhere and I'm just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Then at least I can come up with a decent attempt.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you noticed that according the the intermediate value thm, all you need to do is to prove that

f(X1) [itex]\leq[/itex] (K1f(X1) + K2f(X2))/(K1+K2) [itex]\leq[/itex] f(X2) ?

Supposing f(X1) [itex]\leq[/itex] f(X2).
  4. Nov 11, 2007 #3
    oh god. I feel dumb now. I'm not even going to post back. I got it.
    Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?