Are (0,1) and [0,1] equivalent intervals?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a bijection between the intervals (0,1) and [0,1] by considering the rationals and irrationals separately. It is suggested to map the rationals in [0,1] to the rationals in (0,1) using a simple function, and then extend the function to the irrationals. This shows that the two intervals have the same cardinality and are therefore equivalent in the category of sets.
tink
Show that the intervals (0,1) and [0,1] are equivalent. (Hint: consider rationals and irrationals separately).

I'm able to find a function that shows a bijection between (0,1) an [0,1] under the irrationals, but i can't figure out the rationals. Also... the next step (i believe) would be to find a bijection between these two functions. If anybody can help me figure out an answer to this problem that would be so awesome! Thanks so much, guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've only ever seen "equivalent" used with categories; what does it mean in analysis?

I think it just means show there is a bijection from one to the other.
Equivalent isn't particularly standard here. Have the same cardinality, yes, which means lie in the same isomorphism class of sets in the category SET. Also used is equipollent.

Take the obvious bijection from the set {0,1,2...} to {1,2,...}?

Both are in bijection with the rationals inside the interval [0,1]. Can you now see a bijection between [0,1] and (0,1]? (hint map irrationals to themselves identically)
and rinse and repeat.

(I've no idea what 'under the irrationals' means, by the way)

Since the set of rationals in (0,1) is countable, they can be ordered:{r1,r2,...}

Define f(x) for x in [0, 1] by: f(0)= r1, f(1)= r2, f(rn)= rn+2 and f(x)= x if x is irrational.

It's not a great idea to post the same question in several forums.

This is what I answered in the homework forum:

Fredrik said:
The set of rational numbers is countable. That means that the set of rationals in (0,1) can be arranged in a sequence, like this:

[tex]r_2, r_3, r_4,\dots[/tex]

If you define

[tex]r_0=0[/tex]

and

[tex]r_1=1[/tex]

The function f defined by

[tex]f(r_n)=r_{n+2}[/tex]

maps the rationals in [0,1] bijectively onto the rationals in (0,1).

This is of course the same thing that HallsofIvy suggested, but he also mentioned the obvious extension to the irrationals:

[tex]f(x)=x[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you guys sooo much! I really appreciate the help... and sorry about posting this twice! I figured if I posted in two places that I'd be more likely to get a response! This forum is awesome, my new home away from home!

FAQ: Are (0,1) and [0,1] equivalent intervals?

1. What is the definition of "Real Analysis"?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the rigorous study of limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and sequences and series.

2. What are the key concepts in Real Analysis?

The key concepts in Real Analysis include continuity, differentiability, integrability, sequences and series, and metric spaces. These concepts are used to analyze the behavior and properties of real numbers and functions.

3. How is Real Analysis used in other fields of science?

Real Analysis is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to understand and model real-world phenomena. It also serves as the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and theories.

4. What are some common applications of Real Analysis?

Real Analysis has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where it is used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and modeling complex systems. It is also used in computer science for algorithms and data analysis.

5. How can one improve their understanding of Real Analysis?

To improve understanding of Real Analysis, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and mathematical proofs. Practice and repetition are also key in mastering the concepts. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.

Back