Real and virtual images from mirrors

In summary, when looking into a mirror, the image formed is virtual and cannot be captured on a screen. However, if a torchlight is shined at an angle, the light will reflect and form on a screen. The image formed in this case is not an image of the torchlight's filament, but rather a patch of light. This is because a flat mirror cannot focus the light to create a real image. The image seen in a mirror is actually formed by the lens in the eye. A projector, on the other hand, is designed to focus light to a point, so adding a mirror does not change its ability to project an image. When standing 10 meters away from a mirror, the distance from the image to the observer
sgstudent

Homework Statement

When we look into a mirror, the image formed in virtual as it cannot be captured on a screen. However, If we shine a torchlight at an angle then the beam of light will reflect and form on a screen. But how are we so different from the torchlight's light? Since we simply reflect light into the mirror and the torchlight emits the light so I don't really see the difference.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I read that a real image is formed when two or more rays of light converge. While in a virtual image the two rays diverge and the virtual image is formed at the trace. But how do I apply this with the mirrors? Thanks! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
However, If we shine a torchlight at an angle then the beam of light will reflect and form on a screen

You do get light on the screen but it's NOT an image of the torch.

Oh. So actually only light is reflected? What is that light actually, just the light being emitted. But aren't they similar as well? Eg I have a projector and I shine a picture on a mirror at an angle. So again the image formed on the screen is "real"? Could you explain the differences to me? Thanks for the help! :)

Light striking a point on an object is reflected in all directions. For an image of that object to be formed the light from that point must be focused to a corresponding point in space or on a screen.

A flat mirror cannot focus the light so cannot make a real image on it's own. Light from a torch can reflect off a mirror onto a screen but what you get is a patch of white light not an image of the filament.

The image you "see" in a mirror is actually formed by the lens in the eye.

A projector contains lenses that focus light from the source image to a point. Putting a mirror in the way doesn't really change the projectors ability to do that.

CWatters said:
Light striking a point on an object is reflected in all directions. For an image of that object to be formed the light from that point must be focused to a corresponding point in space or on a screen.

A flat mirror cannot focus the light so cannot make a real image on it's own. Light from a torch can reflect off a mirror onto a screen but what you get is a patch of white light not an image of the filament.

The image you "see" in a mirror is actually formed by the lens in the eye.

A projector contains lenses that focus light from the source image to a point. Putting a mirror in the way doesn't really change the projectors ability to do that.

Oh I understand now. But what about in the torchlight case. Are the rays of light focusing it to a point? Since a image is formed. Or it is similar to having just the sunlight just that the torch's light makes it brighter so a patch is seen?

And if I'm standing 10 meters of the mirror, then the object is actually the mirror image which is captured by my eyes? So will the distance from the image to my be 20m?
Thanks for the help! :)

Last edited:
A torch does not project an image of it's own filament. They are designed to project a beam of light of the required angle. eg not focused to a point.

Yes 20m to the image in the mirror.

1. What is the difference between real and virtual images?

Real images are formed when light rays actually converge at a specific point, while virtual images are formed when light rays only appear to converge at a specific point but do not actually do so.

2. How are real and virtual images formed in mirrors?

Real images are formed in concave mirrors when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror. Virtual images are formed in convex mirrors when the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror.

3. Can both real and virtual images be seen by the human eye?

Yes, both real and virtual images can be seen by the human eye. Real images can be seen on a screen placed at the image point, while virtual images can be seen when looking in the mirror.

4. Are real images always larger than the object?

No, real images can be either larger or smaller than the object depending on the position of the object relative to the mirror. However, virtual images are always smaller than the object.

5. Can real and virtual images be produced by all types of mirrors?

No, only concave and convex mirrors can produce real and virtual images. Flat mirrors, on the other hand, only produce virtual images.