Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real / Functional Analysis Video Lectures?

1. Mar 22, 2010 #1
    Does anybody know of any good resources for this? Specifically for real analysis, I'm looking for something that covers calculus on manifolds, differential forms, Lebesgue integration, etc. and for functional analysis: metric spaces, Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, Fourier series, etc. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2
    I don't think you'll find any videos on the subject except for some very short ones taken here and there in the classroom or out to explain or not some obsolete concept of RA.

I look forward to taking this course next Fall or Winter and was hoping to find something so I can get a feel of what's at hand but alas to no avail.

4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
  5. Apr 18, 2010 #4
    A book I found at my university's library for functional analysis is

Functional Analysis Vol. I: A Gentle Introduction
    by Dzung Minh Ha

Information here

http://matrixeditions.com/FunctionalAnalysisVol1.html

This book helped me a lot, and it explains things well. Unfortunately it's not listed at half.com or amazon.com. At least I can't find it there. Might be worth taking a look at.

Edit - Sorry, I didn't realize this post was asking for videos.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  6. Apr 30, 2010 #5
  7. Apr 30, 2010 #6
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  8. Aug 6, 2011 #7
  9. Aug 6, 2011 #8
  10. Aug 7, 2011 #9
    Maybe you found what you were searching for, but I wanted to link you a you-tube channel I find interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy" [Broken]

Hope it is helpful!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  11. Aug 7, 2011 #10
  12. Aug 7, 2011 #11
    For Lebesgue, I suggest Stein and Shakarchi's book Real Analysis which also goes through Hilbert Spaces and their many examples. Royden's Real Analysis is also very good. Rudin has two small chapter introducing Lebesgue integration and differential forms in his Principles of Mathematical Analysis. Rudin also goes through all the necessary things on metric spaces. This is the standard text in introductory analysis classes.

Rudin also has a book on Functional Analysis but I prefer Conway's.

For differential forms and calculus on manifolds, Munkres has a book on Analysis on Manifolds. I have not personally read this book. If you are advanced enough, I would suggest Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds, which covers topics from differential topology and introduces differential forms in a very abstract way. This is the book I used and I highly recommend it if you have the necessary requirements. Also, Richard Bishop's Tensor Analysis on Manifolds (this book is very dense) and Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds (haven't read this but hear good things) are excellent.

13. Sep 10, 2011 #12
    This looks like a great resource. What browser did you use to view them? Every time I've tried, the streaming has been impossibly slow and staccato. Their viewing tips page says to right click on the video links to download them. But when I right click nothing happens, not in Firefox, nor in IE9.

14. Sep 12, 2011 #13
    It looks like they have changed their website for the worse. It is difficult to get the video files directly now. I looked at the page source and the MOV files are still available if you do a little hand-writing of addresses.

For example, if this is the course you want:
    Code (Text):
    [PLAIN]http://cmes.uccs.edu/Fall2011/Math313/archive.php
    [/PLAIN] [Broken]

The videos are listed as this (with the appropriate number):
    Code (Text):
    [PLAIN]http://cmes.uccs.edu/Fall2011/Math313/Videos/Math313Lecture1.mov
    [/PLAIN] [Broken]

(I had to unclickify the links so they could be read).

You could email their feedback address saying that the streaming is poor and ask for an easy download link as well. It would actually save them bandwidth in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  15. Sep 13, 2011 #14
    Thank you, Sankaku, that's really made my day! I've been trying to find a way to watch those for ages. Let's just hope they don't disable it any time soon. I've notified them about the problem.

16. Sep 14, 2011 #15
  17. Oct 9, 2011 #16

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Not a video lecture, but an online set of notes.

http://www.mathcs.org/analysis/reals/index.html

18. Jan 24, 2015 #17

td21

Gold Member

there's one from Harvey Mudd 4 years ago.... i think it's still on the internet. But low resolution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook