What Are Real Roots in Mathematics?

In summary, real roots refer to the values of x that satisfy a polynomial or rational function, graphically represented by the points where the function intersects the x-axis. Real numbers are used in day-to-day life, while complex numbers involve imaginary parts. The roots can be determined by solving the equation, and in some cases, may result in complex numbers.
Lim Y K
Can someone explain to me what are real roots?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Real numbers which satisfy a polynomial function or a rational function. REAL as contrast to COMPLEX numbers containing imaginary parts.

Lim Y K said:
Can someone explain to me what are real roots?

If you graph the function and see it cut the x-axis at a certain position (or positions) then the x value is a real root of the function.

Likes symbolipoint
symbolipoint said:
Real numbers which satisfy a polynomial function or a rational function. REAL as contrast to COMPLEX numbers containing imaginary parts.
The term can refer to roots of any function, not just polynomial or rational.

Strictly speaking, one talks about "roots" of an equation, not a function. The "zeroes" of a function, f, are the "roots" of the equation f(x)= 0.

Of course, the "real" roots of an equation are those roots that are real numbers as opposed to complex numbers.

Likes aikismos
I'm probably just dumbing down what has already been said, however, I think an explanation should be simple.

When you graph an equation, usually a quadratic one (formed like so: ax2+bx+c=0) there are three possibilities of what the resulting parabola could do. It could cross the x axis, it could just touch the x-axis at a single point, or it could just not cross it. Where the touch points are, are the roots. Every quadratic has roots of some description. Whether these are real or complex is a different issue though. Real numbers are the ones we use day to day. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ect. Complex numbers are something I haven't had much of a chance to delve into as of yet, but I believe they rotate around √-1 or i. When there is no crossing of the x axis, it has complex roots, and you cannot "solve" it for x. However, in the other two cases, it has real roots as there are cases where the parabola touches the x axis.
Hopefully that clears something up!

NovicePWizzard said:
I'm probably just dumbing down what has already been said, however, I think an explanation should be simple.

When you graph an equation, usually a quadratic one (formed like so: ax2+bx+c=0) there are three possibilities of what the resulting parabola could do. It could cross the x axis, it could just touch the x-axis at a single point, or it could just not cross it. Where the touch points are, are the roots. Every quadratic has roots of some description. Whether these are real or complex is a different issue though. Real numbers are the ones we use day to day. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ect. Complex numbers are something I haven't had much of a chance to delve into as of yet, but I believe they rotate around √-1 or i. When there is no crossing of the x axis, it has complex roots, and you cannot "solve" it for x. However, in the other two cases, it has real roots as there are cases where the parabola touches the x axis.
Hopefully that clears something up!
Almost. You usually/often CAN solve for x if not cross nor touch the x axis. The root or roots would be COMPLEX.

symbolipoint said:
Almost. You usually/often CAN solve for x if not cross nor touch the x axis. The root or roots would be COMPLEX.
But the question was specifically about real roots of an equation.

HallsofIvy said:
But the question was specifically about real roots of an equation.
The poster will soon be able to make the distinction.

RealAndImaginaryRoots.png

Here are two functions. A root of an equation (or zero of a function in this case) is graphically where we cross the line y=0 (aka the x-axis or the abscissa if you're really old school). Notice that ## g ## crosses three times, but ## f ## crosses only once. We say ## g ## has three real roots, and ## f ## only one. Why real? It turns out (and if you haven't studied the quadratic equation yet), that sometimes you have to take the square root of negative numbers to find what value makes the entire equation equal to zero. Roots with imaginary numbers in them are NOT real (complex like the others have said). My 2 cents are that if you're a beginner, think of it as where the curve crosses the x-axis until you understand things better.

symbolipoint said:
I mean that, but it might not have been clear... Thank you for helping to clarify!

1. What is the definition of a real root?

A real root is a numerical value that, when substituted into a polynomial equation, makes the equation equal to zero.

2. How do you find the real roots of a polynomial equation?

To find the real roots of a polynomial equation, you can use a variety of methods such as factoring, the rational root theorem, or using the quadratic formula. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

3. Can a polynomial equation have more than one real root?

Yes, a polynomial equation can have multiple real roots. The number of real roots a polynomial equation has is equal to its degree, or the highest exponent value in the equation.

4. How do real roots relate to the graph of a polynomial function?

The real roots of a polynomial function are the x-intercepts of its graph. This means that when you plot the function on a graph, the points where the graph crosses the x-axis are the real roots of the function.

5. Can a polynomial function have complex roots?

Yes, a polynomial function can have complex roots. Complex roots are solutions to the equation that involve imaginary numbers, and they appear in pairs. This means that for every complex root, there is another complex root that is its conjugate.