Real world prob: bending of 26mT circular plate

In summary, the trunions will be added to the welded circular plate to prevent it from buckling, and the plate will be lifted using a factor to take into account the stress concentration at the trunions.
chocolatebelt
Hello all,

I'd like to check my work on this to make sure a safe lift is done.

We have an 11m diameter, 35mm thick, 26mT circular steel plate to which we will add two trunions at the ends. The circular plate is welded in 4 parts and once we weld one side we have to flip to weld the other. That is what the trunions are for. The welding for one side will mean the plates are only connected by half their cross section (35mm / 2) before flipping, so this is what I have used for second moment of area and section modulus.

I kept it simple and used a simply supported beam and calculated both as a center point load (worst case) and uniformly distributed load separately. I'm assuming no correction for dynamic loading and no stress concentration (though there will be I think) due to the other [open] side of the weld as it is a double v joint. I know using the simply supported beam is technically not correct as the theory assumes a constant cross section, so therefore I would like to check with the forum how you would go about solving this! The trunions are another problem altogether but I would first like to check whether we can lift the plate as is or if it needs stiffeners to prevent buckling under own weight.

Thanks for looking and your solutions. Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
An important thing you're missing is the stress concentration at the narrow region. You may be able to apply a stress concentration factor from a book like Roark's.

Unrest said:
An important thing you're missing is the stress concentration at the narrow region. You may be able to apply a stress concentration factor from a book like Roark's.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't actually have the Roark's book. Is it as simple as taking the max stress at center and applying a multiplier for the region around the trunions, or how would you do it?

As I understand, your cross-section looks like a straight beam with a v-notch in the middle? You'd find the bending stress with no notch, then apply a factor according to the geometry of the notch.

A beam model may be even worse since it can try to bend in two directions - like a potato chip.

Unrest said:
As I understand, your cross-section looks like a straight beam with a v-notch in the middle? You'd find the bending stress with no notch, then apply a factor according to the geometry of the notch.

A beam model may be even worse since it can try to bend in two directions - like a potato chip.

hey,

I'm familiar with using a multiplier for stress concentrations, I just don't know how to calculate the stress at the trunnions as I am calculating it as a simply supported beam where moments are of course zero at supports.

It's ok though, we have decided to add stiffeners so thanks for your input.

1. What is the cause of the bending of a 26mT circular plate in real world problems?

The bending of a 26mT circular plate in real world problems is caused by a combination of external forces and internal stresses. External forces such as pressure, weight, or thermal expansion can cause the plate to bend. Internal stresses, such as residual stresses from manufacturing, can also contribute to the bending of the plate.

2. How is the bending of a 26mT circular plate measured and quantified?

The bending of a 26mT circular plate can be measured and quantified using various methods such as strain gauges, optical methods, or finite element analysis. These methods allow for the measurement of the amount of deformation and the calculation of the corresponding stress or strain in the plate.

3. What factors can affect the bending of a 26mT circular plate?

There are several factors that can affect the bending of a 26mT circular plate, including the material properties of the plate, the magnitude and direction of external forces, and the boundary conditions of the plate. Other factors such as temperature changes and manufacturing processes can also play a role in the bending of the plate.

4. How can the bending of a 26mT circular plate be prevented or minimized?

To prevent or minimize the bending of a 26mT circular plate, it is important to carefully consider the material properties and design of the plate, as well as the external forces and boundary conditions it will be subjected to. Proper manufacturing techniques and post-processing treatments can also help reduce residual stresses in the plate and minimize bending.

5. What are some real world applications where the bending of a 26mT circular plate is a significant factor?

The bending of a 26mT circular plate is a significant factor in many real world applications, such as in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also important in the design of machinery and equipment, as well as in the manufacturing of various products such as electronic devices, appliances, and automotive components.