Stress due to bending of fillet weld joint

In summary, Shigleys "Mechanical engineering design" (pages 349 to 351) states that you should compute the shear stress in a welded joint by multiplying by 3, and the max bending stress by squareing.
Mech King
Evening everyone,

i have been referring to Shigleys "Mechanical engineering design" (pages 349 to 351) regarding a welded joint I am looking at. wanted to compare my manual calcs to sum FEA.

My joint is a circular shaft which is fillet welded to a base plate. A load is applied to the end of the shaft.

Do i compute the shear stress in the joint, mutlipy that value by 3, and the max bending stress in the joint, square them both, add them together and then square root them to get the von mises stress?

Also, Shigley lists the Unit moment of inertia for the joint as: pie*r^3.......... so, if I am treating the weld as a circular line, can i just divide the unit moment of inertia by the radius (the distance to the centroid) in order to get my section modulous Z? I will then divide M/Z to get my max stress?

It's been a very long time since i looked at welded joints, and am a tad confused,

any help much appreciated,

Cheers

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Mech King: No, square the shear stress before multiplying it by 3, not vice versa.

Yes, you are computing the unit section modulus, Zbar, correctly, not section modulus, Z. No, do not compute M/Zbar. First, multiply Zbar by the weld effective throat width t, then divide M by this result.

Thanks nvn,

i got confused with the text as it didn't explain the reasoning for multiplying by the weld throat by Zbar?

Just to clarify:

So for a circular weld in bending, i mulitly the Unit Moment of Inertia (Z bar) by the throat area (1.414*pie*h*r)?

Last edited:
Mech King said:
Do I compute the shear stress in the joint, multiply that value by 3, and the max bending stress in the joint, square them both, add them together, and then square root them to get the von Mises stress?

Mech King: No, don't use that method. Don't compute von Mises stress. Just compute and use the following stress. sigma = M/(Zbar*t), where Zbar = pi*r^2, and t = 0.7071*h.

OK nvn,

but shouldn't Zbar be pi*r^3 as in Shigley?

Last edited:
Oops sorry,

i understand now, cheers, again

1. What is stress due to bending in a fillet weld joint?

Stress due to bending in a fillet weld joint refers to the internal forces and moments that are created when a load is applied to the joint, causing it to bend or flex. This stress is typically concentrated at the edges of the weld, where there is a change in cross-sectional area.

2. How does stress due to bending affect the strength of a fillet weld joint?

The stress due to bending can significantly decrease the strength of a fillet weld joint. This is because it causes the joint to deform and can lead to the formation of cracks, which can ultimately result in failure of the joint.

3. What factors contribute to stress due to bending in a fillet weld joint?

The magnitude and distribution of stress due to bending in a fillet weld joint can be influenced by several factors, including the geometry of the joint, the type of welding process used, the size and shape of the weld, and the type of material being welded.

4. How can stress due to bending be minimized in a fillet weld joint?

To minimize stress due to bending in a fillet weld joint, it is important to carefully design the joint and select appropriate welding parameters. The use of preheat, proper welding techniques, and post-weld heat treatment can also help to reduce stress and improve the strength of the joint.

5. What are some common signs of stress due to bending in a fillet weld joint?

Some common signs of stress due to bending in a fillet weld joint include visible cracks, distortion or warping of the joint, and failure under relatively low loads. Regular inspection and testing can help to identify and address any potential issues with stress in the joint.