Realizing I need Research Post Haste Help

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, if you want a chance in astrophysics graduate school you need research experience ASAP. You have plenty of time, but you need to be flexible and take what you can get. You should look to volunteer for a faculty member at your school, learn some programming, and try to get some experience doing research at your school.
lubuntu
Realizing I need Research Post Haste! Help!

I was looking through the graduate profiles on physicsgre.com (another good site btw) and I realized if I even want a ice cubes chance in hell of getting into graduate school I need research experience ASAP. Briefly here my story again:

1. Got really bad grades for a time in subjects completely unrelated to science
2. Dropped out then smartened up and decided to get degree in physics/math/astronomy/computational science/anything in this realm really.
3. Now that I have almost finished my lower level class I need to "buckle down."
4. Realized I hate my current school so transferring into another better university close by.
5. My history probably excludes me from getting into REU's.
6. Since I am new at my new school might be difficult to get into research, they only have one group that I am even tangentially interested in(unless I decide to go to the Astro program elsewhere).

What can I do in my next 4 to 5 semesters and 2 summers to get even a chance of getting into a mid-level astrophysics graduate program? It is unlikely any research I actually do get to do will be directly related to astro? How much will this hurt my already paltry chances?

Physics news on Phys.org

Calm down... You've got plenty of time. If you get decent grades and some good research experience and recommendations, your chances are pretty decent of getting in somewhere. Be flexible. Take what you can get, and don't worry too much about what you can't.

Start talking to professors, find someone that has a research position open, and work for them. It's a little better if it's astrophysics related, but pretty much anything you do in physics has something to do with astrophysics. Also, I did my undergraduate research in science education with nothing directly to do with astrophysics. It did hurt my ability to get into graduate school, but looking back over twenty years, it was a really, really good thing to do nevertheless.

If there are any REUs you want then you should apply for them. Don't just assume you won't get in, you never know until you try. Though it will definitely help if you get some research experience at your own school during the school year. Maybe if you are not that interested in the research at your school you should do it anyways to increase your chances at getting an REU, plus you may discover something you really like.

Any experience is better than no experience.

Look to volunteer for one of your school's physics department's faculty members. It doesn't really matter what sort of project you're working on, since most of the skill sets you acquire will transfer over. I would also suggest learning some programming, consider taking some intro computer science classes.

I actually started out as CS major awhile back so I have 3 CS courses under my belt,got A's in all of them, how can I yield this to my advantage?

What is the importance of conducting research?

Research is essential for advancing knowledge and understanding in a particular field. It allows for the development of new ideas, theories, and technologies that can have a significant impact on society. Without research, progress and innovation would be limited, and we would not be able to address complex problems or find solutions to various issues.

What are the steps involved in conducting research?

The research process typically involves the following steps: identifying a research question, conducting a literature review, developing a research design, collecting and analyzing data, interpreting the results, and communicating the findings. These steps may vary depending on the research topic and methodology used.

How do I know if I need to conduct research post haste?

If you are facing a time-sensitive issue or need to address a pressing problem, conducting research post haste may be necessary. Additionally, if you are working on a project that requires new information or evidence to support your ideas, conducting research quickly can help you stay on track and meet deadlines.

What are some common challenges in conducting research?

Some common challenges in conducting research include finding reliable sources of information, selecting an appropriate research methodology, managing time and resources effectively, and dealing with unexpected obstacles or limitations. It is essential to be prepared for these challenges and have a plan in place to overcome them.

What are some tips for conducting research efficiently?

To conduct research efficiently, it is crucial to have a clear research question and a well-defined research design. It is also essential to stay organized, use reliable sources, and manage your time effectively. Additionally, being open to new ideas and approaches can help you make progress and find innovative solutions to your research problem.