Really quick explanation for gauge theory?

In summary, most people here are not college professors on quantum physics, but they do know a lot about it.
CookieSalesman
Could anyone give a really quick explanation for gauge theory to me?
Or a link, or a book is perfectly fine.
I just completely don't understand SU symmetry breaking and etc. etc.

I also have a question, is everyone who lurks around here a college professor on quantum physics or something? It seems that everyone knows a lot around here.

Sorry for double thread, I'll ask for this to be del'd after a few responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
CookieSalesman said:
Could anyone give a really quick explanation for gauge theory to me?

It's nigh impossible to give a "quick explanation" of something so elegant and deep. Here are some readings that don't use too much technical language:

http://scistud.umkc.edu/psa98/papers/weinstein.pdf
http://www.math.toronto.edu/~colliand/426_03/Papers03/C_Quigley.pdf
http://www.ippp.dur.ac.uk/~krauss/Lectures/IntoToParticlePhysics/2010/Lecture9.pdf
http://www.iop.vast.ac.vn/theor/conferences/vsop/18/files/QFT-4.pdf

CookieSalesman said:
I also have a question, is everyone who lurks around here a college professor on quantum physics or something?

No.

Last edited by a moderator:
:OSo what are you guys?
Not high school students or undergrads, right?

CookieSalesman said:
Not high school students or undergrads, right?

I'm sure there are some, who knows. Suffice it to say, not everyone here is a university professor :smile:

A gauge theory is a theory in which one uses variables that are "unphysical", ie. different values of the variable correspond to the same physical situation. A gauge transformation is a "do nothing" transformation, since although it changes the values of the variables, the physical situation remains unchanged. A very simple example of a gauge variable is the electric potential: one can add any constant to the potential without changing the physical situation, since it is only the potential difference which is physical.

A famous gauge theory is Yang-Mills quantum field theory. There the physical variables are loops. In some cases, the physical variables are used (eg. lattice gauge theory), while in other cases unphysical gauge variables are used because they are calculationally convenient (eg. the path integral presentation found in most textbooks).

(I'm a biologist.)

WannabeNewton said:
It's nigh impossible to give a "quick explanation" of something so elegant and deep.

Very true. Its has breathtaking elegance and beauty. It is very deep. But at the lay level, unfortunately, quite opaque.

But if you understand some of the technicalities of QM the following I posted before may be of value:
http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node296.html

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
CookieSalesman said:
I also have a question, is everyone who lurks around here a college professor on quantum physics or something? It seems that everyone knows a lot around here.

There are many like that - but certainly not all.

I suspect I am in the minority, but not alone, in not being formally trained in physics

I have a degree in applied math but self taught myself QM and relativity.

The good news for those that aren't a 'college professor on quantum physics or something' is learning this stuff can be done. The bad news is it took me a while.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

What is gauge theory?

Gauge theory is a type of mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of fundamental forces in the universe, specifically the strong and electroweak forces. It is based on the idea that the fundamental forces can be described by fields that have a certain symmetry, and that the behavior of these fields can be changed by applying a transformation known as a gauge transformation.

Why is gauge theory important?

Gauge theory is important because it provides a way to understand and predict the behavior of fundamental forces in the universe. It has been used to successfully unify the strong and electroweak forces, and it forms the basis for the Standard Model of particle physics.

How does gauge theory relate to quantum mechanics?

Gauge theory and quantum mechanics are closely related, as gauge theories are used to describe the interactions between quantum particles and the fundamental forces. In fact, the Standard Model is a gauge theory that incorporates quantum mechanics to explain the behavior of particles and forces at the subatomic level.

What are some real-world applications of gauge theory?

Gauge theory has many applications in physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum field theory. It has also been used in engineering and technology, such as in the development of superconductors and the study of quantum computing.

Are there any current challenges or unanswered questions in gauge theory?

While gauge theory has been incredibly successful in explaining many aspects of the universe, there are still some unanswered questions and challenges. For example, there is ongoing research into the unification of all four fundamental forces, including incorporating gravity into a unified gauge theory. There are also ongoing efforts to better understand the nature of dark matter and dark energy using gauge theory.