Rigid Body Velocity: Reason & Reciprocity

In summary, the reason for the velocity of a rigid body is not physical, but rather a consequence of the arbitrary choice of coordinate system. The force is the reason for the change in velocity, or acceleration, of an object. However, the initial velocity depends on the coordinate system and cannot be explained by the forces acting on the object.
ldshusheng
hello,

I have a question, what is the reason for the velocity of a rigid body?

I know the force is the reason for movement status changing of a rigid body. And also this can be said, the forces and the movements are reciprocal to each other.

now, what is the reciprocal part of the velocity of a rigid body?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ldeshusheng, welcome to PF!

There is no physical reason for velocity. It is purely a consequence of the arbitrary choice of your coordinate system.

thank you.

ldshusheng said:
hello,

I have a question, what is the reason for the velocity of a rigid body?

I know the force is the reason for movement status changing of a rigid body. And also this can be said, the forces and the movements are reciprocal to each other.

now, what is the reciprocal part of the velocity of a rigid body?

thank you

Do you mean why some objects get higher velocity than others? Velocities are closely related Movements.

I think movements depend on space through which objects move. The more we learn about empty space, the more we'll understand how/why objects move. Until then I take it as a law of nature. The higher the force, the higher the velocity, the higher the acceleration.

Neandethal00 said:
The higher the force, the higher the velocity
This is not true in general. For example, consider an automobile's brakes. In that case, the higher the force the lower the velocity wrt the ground.

Neandethal00 said:
Do you mean why some objects get higher velocity than others? Velocities are closely related Movements.

I think movements depend on space through which objects move. The more we learn about empty space, the more we'll understand how/why objects move. Until then I take it as a law of nature. The higher the force, the higher the velocity, the higher the acceleration.

The force is the reason for the acceleration based on Newton's second lawm, not the velocity.

Assume there is a revolute joint, a torque (just caused by a couple, not by a force) can make it rotate around the axis.

why there are two parasitic velocities along x-axis and y-axis?

velocity describes the state of movement of an object, i think there's no actual reason why something moves at the speed they do. its change can be described by acceleration which is linearly related to F so yeah, you can argue that force is the reason for the change of velocity but you don't have to bond velocity with something else since it's in fact a relative thing that may vary from one observer to another, while F doesn't.

ldshusheng said:
The force is the reason for the acceleration based on Newton's second lawm, not the velocity.

Come on guys, keep it simple.
You apply a force on an object at rest, it moves, meaning object changes its velocity from zero to a non-zero value. Change in velocity is acceleration. This is why acceleration comes in Newton's law.

And in a frictionless environment after a force is applied and then removed you have velocity. "a body in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force." ... "an object at rest tends to remain at rest unless acted upon by an outside force."
So you have velocity because at some point a force acted upon an object and accelerated it for a finite time. (or continues to act on the body to overcome external forces working to slow it down)

Paul

PaulS1950 said:
So you have velocity because at some point a force acted upon an object and accelerated it for a finite time.
A complete history of all the forces acting on an object can account for the objects change in velocity from it's initial velocity, but it cannot explain the initial velocity. That depends entirely on the choice of coordinate system.

Related to Rigid Body Velocity: Reason & Reciprocity

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size, and does not deform under external forces. This means that all points on the object move in a coordinated manner, and the distance between any two points on the object remains constant.

2. How is velocity defined for a rigid body?

Velocity for a rigid body is defined as the rate of change of its position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. For a rigid body, the velocity of any point on the body is the same as the velocity of the body as a whole.

3. What is the principle of reciprocity for rigid body velocity?

The principle of reciprocity states that the velocity of two points on a rigid body will be equal and opposite if they are at the same distance from the axis of rotation. This means that if one point is moving away from the axis, the other point will be moving towards the axis with the same speed and in the opposite direction.

4. What is the reason for rigid body velocity?

The reason for rigid body velocity is the conservation of angular momentum. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of a rigid body, the angular momentum is conserved as the body rotates about its fixed axis.

5. How is rigid body velocity useful in science?

Rigid body velocity is useful in many areas of science, including mechanics, engineering, and physics. It allows us to understand how objects move and rotate in space, and how forces and torques affect their motion. This understanding is crucial in designing and analyzing machines, structures, and other systems.