1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommand a nice qm textbook on perturbation and scattering

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    I just finished the first 4 chapters of Sakurai's Modern qm, and now I'm begining to learn purterbation method and scattering theory, but from the feedback it seems that many people are quite unsatisfied with Modern qm on these parts. Could you guys recommand a nice book on perturbation and scattering?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2
    I like "Scattering theory : the quantum theory of non-relativistic collisions" by John R. Taylor.

4. Aug 10, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the information, btw does it also include perturbation theory ?

5. Aug 11, 2010 #4
    Yes it does. It is not the fastest shortcut to perturbation and perturbation technologies are not applied to many examples. Rather, it is a formal text justifying rigorously the perturbation formalism, pointing out the subtleties and caveats.

6. Aug 23, 2010 #5
    Thanks, just had a look at the content, it seems a bit too andvanced for me.

7. Aug 23, 2010 #6
    For scattering theory, Quantum Mechanics II: A Second Course in Quantum Theory by Rubin Landau is good.

Although, maybe what you need is a second QM text. Shankar, perhaps. Or at a more sophisticated level, the book by Arno Bohm.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook