Recommend me a calculus based physics text?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different options for a book for an engineering physics class, with the main recommendation being Serway's Physics for scientists and engineers. However, the speaker also mentions other authors such as Resnick and Giancolo. They also mention their own experience with using different books for the same class. The speaker suggests considering a cheaper book or one with more content, but advises checking with the professor before purchasing a different book.
johnnyies
I'm going to take an engineering physics class which is just simply a calculus-based physics class. Any suggestions for a book? The class uses Serway's Physics for scientists and engineers, but I've heard of other authors like Resnick, Giancolo, etc.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I started college as a math major and my physics class used Serway's book, but when I switched to physics I was required to purchase a new book (Sear's and Zemansky's University Physics, 12th ed.). The material covered in each book is nearly identical, though Sear's and Zemanksy's goes into more detail (though it has a disgusting amount of small errors in it). I also own Feynman's Lectures which is an incredibly insightful book if you are a physics major (since it focuses heavily on physics without getting lost in the mathematics behind it). The down side to Feynman's is that it has no example problems or "end of chapter" problems to work on.

If you are an engineer, I'd say that you are most likely going to find most introductory level physics books to be very much identical in content. I feel bad saying this, but I'd suggest a cheaper book, or if you have the money to spend and you have a genuine interest in physics, a book with more pages usually has more content, but that is just an assumption on my part.

Make sure your professor is not going to make you do homework from the Serway book before you buy a different book though, unless you have a friend that is willing to lend you his or her book every week haha.

I would recommend the book "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. It is a widely used and highly regarded calculus-based physics textbook in many universities and engineering programs. It covers all the necessary topics in a clear and comprehensive manner, with plenty of practice problems and examples to help reinforce concepts. Other popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. Ultimately, it is important to choose a textbook that aligns with your learning style and the content covered in your specific class. I suggest browsing through different textbooks and reading reviews to determine which one will best suit your needs. Good luck with your engineering physics class!

1. What is the best calculus-based physics text for beginners?

The best calculus-based physics text for beginners is "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject and includes clear explanations and examples.

2. Is there a calculus-based physics text that is more advanced?

Yes, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths is a popular choice for advanced calculus-based physics. It covers topics such as electromagnetism and relativity.

3. Are there any online resources for calculus-based physics texts?

Yes, there are several online resources available for calculus-based physics texts. Some popular options include OpenStax, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

4. Can you recommend a calculus-based physics text with practical applications?

"Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli is a great choice for those looking for a calculus-based physics text with practical applications. It includes real-world examples and problems.

5. Is there a calculus-based physics text that covers both mechanics and thermodynamics?

Yes, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker covers both mechanics and thermodynamics in one comprehensive text. It also includes helpful illustrations and diagrams.