1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best books of calculus based physics

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone, I just bought Physics for Scientists and Engineers 8th ed by serway and jewett, is it a good textbook for calculus based physics since i'm a student of physics at university ?
    Which is the best calculus based physics textbook ?
    I'm a student who wants to master even the proofs and understand the meaning of each integral etc... please give me some advice!

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

An Introduction to Mechanics - Kleppner and Kolenkow is a brilliant intro book and supplementing it with Morin's Mechanics book will take you places =D. I haven't heard of the one you mentioned but if it's intro physics for engineers I would place my bets that it is not rigorous and just contains rote calculations.

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3
    Kleppner is a fantastic text.

I did not discover it until after I finished upper division mechanics and it was still a great text.

5. Jan 15, 2013 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jan 15, 2013 #5
    Physics For Scientist and Engineers by Serway-Jewet is an Intro book of Physics at level of University Physics by Sears and Zemanasky having very low amount of Exercise questions, One of the same titled book is by Ginacoli having low theory more exercises.
    Anyway if you want to go beyond that book then Kleppnar Mechanics + Griffiths Electrodynamics and Krane Modern Phyusics is a great combination.

7. Jan 15, 2013 #6
    ok the OP needs to understand that Kleppner is a more advanced book than Serway, Serway is what I use and it is for a non-honors intro physics sequence and it gets the job done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook