Online Calculus Based Physics Textbook

In summary, the conversation is about finding a free online calculus-based physics textbook suitable for introductory physics. One person recommends Simple Nature by Ben Crowell, while another suggests purchasing an older textbook for a low price. The reason for wanting an online textbook is due to the affordability and accessibility compared to physical copies.
brinnbelyea
First post here, so apologies if there is a similar thread. None came up on my first search. I am looking for a free online calculus based physics textbook suitable for introductory physics.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I'll have to look at it in detail later.

Simple Nature is probably the best available. All of Ben Crowell's free books are pretty good.

Do you mind me asking why it should be online? I assume you are looking for something free but you can find an excellent older text for just a few bucks. Much easier to read. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/047134530X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For $5-6 you can't really go wrong. Much easier to read and, in my opinion, much better than new books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't afford the number of books that would be needed.

1. What is an online calculus based physics textbook?

An online calculus based physics textbook is a digital resource that covers the principles of physics using the language of calculus. It includes interactive features such as simulations, videos, and practice problems to enhance the learning experience.

2. How is an online calculus based physics textbook different from a traditional textbook?

An online calculus based physics textbook offers the convenience of being accessible anytime and anywhere with an internet connection. It also allows for dynamic and interactive learning through multimedia elements. Additionally, online textbooks often have regular updates and revisions, while traditional textbooks may become outdated over time.

3. Are online calculus based physics textbooks as effective as traditional textbooks?

Studies have shown that online calculus based physics textbooks can be just as effective, if not more, than traditional textbooks. The interactive features can help students better grasp difficult concepts and the convenience of online access can increase engagement and motivation.

4. How can I access an online calculus based physics textbook?

Many online calculus based physics textbooks are available for purchase or subscription through various websites and platforms. Some universities may also provide access to students through their learning management systems.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using an online calculus based physics textbook?

One potential drawback is the need for a stable internet connection to access the textbook. Additionally, some students may prefer the physical act of flipping through pages in a traditional textbook. However, online textbooks can often be downloaded for offline use to mitigate these issues.