Recommendations for graduate schools In TQFT

In summary, the speaker is a math/physics undergraduate looking into grad schools for topological quantum field theory. They have a strong academic and research background and are interested in the intersection of math and physics. They are open to grad school in either subject and are considering schools in the US and possibly other English-speaking countries. They have taken relevant courses and have been reading materials related to the subject. Potential schools they have in mind include Princeton, Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Penn, and Yale.
qinwamascot
I'm entering my final year as a math/physics undergraduate, and I'm looking into grad schools to apply to. In particular, I'm interested in topological quantum field theory. As a student, I'm fairly well-off academically and research-wise, and comparing myself to people who I've known the past few years, I'd be a reasonable candidate at pretty much any grad school, though I wouldn't be guaranteed a spot at top tier schools of course.

I'm interested in topological quantum field theory, and connections with low-dimensional topology and knot theory, which is an area somewhere in the intersection of math and physics. From what I've seen, the research is done both by mathematicians and physicists. While it's physically motivated, a great deal of the language is that of pure math (i.e. categories, algebraic topology), which the average physicist might not be familiar with. No one at my university is very close to the area, nor were they very knowledgeable beyond the big names that everyone knows (Witten, Jones, Atiyah, and other similarly famous people who probably aren't even taking students).

What U.S. graduate schools (in either math or physics) would be good choices for someone interested in topological quantum field theory? (I'm open to other countries with good programs, but only if the grad school is primarily English-speaking)

I'd be open to going to grad school in either math or physics. I think my application is roughly the same calibur in both, but it might be a little stronger in physics, since I've done a bit more research in physics. In physics, I'm not terribly concerned whether the connection is with condensed matter theory or with particle theory. I mildly favor grad school in math, since I think there is more freedom as to what classes to take. I'm also more comfortable with the mathematician's way of doing quantum field theory than the physicist's. Niether of these is a deal-breaker for a strong program from a physics department.

For reference, I've taken courses in ordinary QFT, algebraic topology, differential geometry, as well as pretty much everything that pedagologically comes earlier and some other random classes (algebraic number theory, general relativity, etc.). Over the summer I've been reading Atiyah and Bott's "Yang Mills Equations over Riemann Surfaces" as well as Witten's "Quantum field theory and the Jones polynomial". A program with the same flavor as these would be ideal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some schools that come to mind as potential candidates are: Princeton, Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Penn, and Yale. I'm sure there are many more!

1. What is TQFT and why is it important in graduate school?

TQFT stands for Topological Quantum Field Theory and it is a field of mathematics and theoretical physics that studies the relationship between topology and quantum mechanics. It is important in graduate school because it is a highly specialized and advanced topic that requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and analytical skills.

2. What are some top graduate schools for TQFT?

Some top graduate schools for TQFT include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, and Stanford University.

3. What are the admission requirements for graduate schools in TQFT?

The admission requirements vary by school, but generally include a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Most schools also require applicants to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

4. Are there any specific research areas within TQFT that graduate schools tend to focus on?

Yes, TQFT is a broad field and different graduate schools may have a specific focus or expertise in certain research areas such as topological string theory, knot theory, or topological phases of matter.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a TQFT degree?

Graduates with a TQFT degree can pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers, as well as in industry in fields such as computer science, data analysis, and finance. They may also find opportunities in government agencies or national laboratories.