Recovering from a failed first exam

• Testing
  • Thread starter Tempest Desh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the person failed the first exam and is in a bind. They need advice on how to make a come-back. They tried watching other Linear Algebra videos, but found them to be distracting. They suggest doing more problems and reading the relevant section in the text. They got an 88.5 % on the second exam and are hopeful they can keep up this trend.
Tempest Desh
Hey All,

I hope this is in the right sub-forum. As the title states, I've failed my first exam in Linear Algebra, and I'm thus in a bind. I just need some advice on how to make a come-back, as I'd honestly like to earn an A or B in the class, as it's a retake. My professor does drop an exam, as we have three and then the final, making up our grades in the class. However, dropping the first doesn't feel all that great, as the material is only going to get harder. I'm taking 16 units, working on and off, and fencing on and off. Part of the problem has to be with my hectic schedule...but, I need to find a way to work around that. Thanks in advance for any advice.

See you on the flipside,

Kian

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know why you failed the exam? I mean, did you do *all* of your homework, and understand it?

I'd suggest going through this lecture series. Helped me achieve a final grade of 100 in linear algebra (with a bad instructor).

Do all of the homework in your book (even what isn't assigned, assuming you need it)... and watch Strang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebooter said:

I'd suggest going through this lecture series. Helped me achieve a final grade of 100 in linear algebra (with a bad instructor).

Do all of the homework in your book (even what isn't assigned, assuming you need it)... and watch Strang.

When I was taking linear algebra, I tried, but I couldn't watch Strang. His manner/inflection is really distracting.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first went back to school, I got a 55 on my first exam in Linear Algebra. At the time I was working nights in a wood production factory (5 PM to 3:30 AM, mon - fri). I was shocked, but buckled down, focused all that much harder, and scheduled time off work so that I could properly prepare for the exam.

I wound up with an A in the course.

So trials like this can be overcome. That said, given you've already taken it once, you really should be looking at why you're failing to understand the material, and attempt to address that.

Oh, and the key to passing a math class is to do all your homework and more.

Keep answering questions in the textbook until you understand the material completely. If you run out of questions (doubtful), find another source and do those.

holomorphic said:
When I was taking linear algebra, I tried, but I couldn't watch Strang. His manner/inflection is really distracting.

Strang alternates between being brilliant and being impossible to watch. I guess his style works for some people, but I found 60% of it infuriating.

There are other Linear Algebra videos on the net, but quality varies:
http://www.uccs.edu/~math/vidarchive.html

My only advice for the OP - maybe you are taking too much at once? Take fewer courses and do better at them. You should never be failing the second time around.

Yeah I agree, I don't know why Strang spent 40 mins on one matrix...

He seems to be in his own world half the time lol

Try Khanacademy

Strang is pretty cool, its just a little irritating in the beginning. What level Linear algebra course is this? It just takes practice. Make time to do the problem sets. Go to the library and pick up another textbook on the material, sometimes getting a different perspective helps. I'm assuming your professor has office hours you can attend?

I believe the hardest part about Linear Algebra is learning all the new terminology which comes in the first part of the class. So it may actually not get harder as the semester goes on. I think LA tends to get easier as you progress through the course because you'll be more comfortable with the terminology and the concepts really aren't all that difficult.

Elementary Linear Algebra is basically a computational course, i.e its mostly just calculations. If you're having trouble with such courses, the key is to do more problems and see that you get the process of solving problems. In other words, practice and do more problems.

When learning linear algebra, just doing the examples and the homework isn't enough.

You actually need to *read* the relevant section in the text (usually more than once), and learn the definitions. Understand why you're doing something instead of just how to do it.

agiles said:
When learning linear algebra, just doing the examples and the homework isn't enough.

You actually need to *read* the relevant section in the text (usually more than once), and learn the definitions. Understand why you're doing something instead of just how to do it.

Exactly.

Is that lecturer in the video blinking just one eye? Man, that must distract people.

Got an 88.5 % on the second exam! Spent the week/week-and-a-half beforehand studying for the exam. Hopefully I can keep up this trend, eh?

Tempest Desh said:
Got an 88.5 % on the second exam! Spent the week/week-and-a-half beforehand studying for the exam. Hopefully I can keep up this trend, eh?

Nice job :smile:!

Tempest Desh said:

Thats great, considering the second exam usually has harder material than the first one. I got lower on the second exam myself, went from 95 on the first one to about 84 on the second one, so keep it up!

Related to Recovering from a failed first exam

1. How can I bounce back from a failed first exam?

Recovering from a failed first exam can be a challenging task, but it is definitely possible. The first step is to stay positive and not let the failure define you. Take some time to reflect on what went wrong and identify areas where you can improve. Seek help from your professor or a tutor if needed and create a solid study plan for future exams.

2. Is it possible to recover from a failed first exam and still get a good grade in the class?

Yes, it is definitely possible to recover from a failed first exam and still achieve a good grade in the class. One failed exam does not determine your overall grade. Use the failure as motivation to work harder and perform better on future exams. You can also look for opportunities to earn extra credit or participate in class discussions to improve your grade.

3. Should I retake the failed exam or focus on doing better on the next one?

This depends on your individual situation and the policies of your school or professor. Some schools allow for exam retakes, while others do not. If you have the option to retake the exam, it may be worth considering if you feel confident that you can improve your grade. However, it is also important to focus on doing better on future exams and not dwell on the past.

4. How can I manage my emotions and stress after failing the first exam?

Failing an exam can be emotionally challenging, but it is important to not let it consume you. Allow yourself to feel disappointed but also remind yourself that one failure does not define your abilities or future success. Engage in self-care activities such as exercise, talking to friends or family, or practicing relaxation techniques to manage stress and maintain a positive mindset.

5. How can I prevent failing a first exam in the future?

To prevent failing a first exam in the future, it is important to be proactive in your studying and preparation. Attend all classes and take thorough notes, participate in class discussions, and seek help if you are struggling with the material. Plan your study schedule ahead of time and make sure to review regularly. Also, make sure to get enough rest and eat well before the exam to ensure you are in the best mental state to perform well.