Recursively enumerable language with infinite alphabet

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of recursively enumerable languages with infinite alphabets. The participants question whether an infinite language with an infinite alphabet is always recursively enumerable, and if it is just enumerable. They also discuss the meaning of "enumerable" and whether an uncountable alphabet would affect the language's recognition by a Turing machine. The conversation ends with a brief mention of the axiom of choice and its relation to the well ordering theorem.
Dragonfall
Is an infinite language with an infinite alphabet always recursively enumerable?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
isn't it just enumerable?

What's "enumerable"?

countablely infinate

So... no? Interesting.

If the language has uncountable alphabet, surely not?

I was thinking that since the alphabet is infinite (countable or not), a Turing machine would need infinitely many states to recognize it, which goes against the definition of a TM.

soandos said:
countablely infinate

Isn't everything, should you accept the axiom of choice? I guess you meant it in the constructable sense.

What does the axiom of choice have to do with anything?

Ah, my mistake. See, I was thinking in the lines of the well ordering theorem. But the theorem doesn't state anything about every element of set having a predecessor, so it doesn't necessarily equate denumerability. I knew this was weird.

1. What is a recursively enumerable language with infinite alphabet?

A recursively enumerable language with infinite alphabet is a type of formal language in theoretical computer science that can be recognized by a Turing machine. It is a recursively enumerable set of strings formed from an infinite number of symbols.

2. How is a language with infinite alphabet different from a regular language?

In regular languages, the alphabet is finite and the strings are formed from a limited number of symbols. However, in a recursively enumerable language with infinite alphabet, the set of symbols is infinite and the strings can be of any length.

3. Can a language with infinite alphabet be recognized by a finite automaton?

No, a language with infinite alphabet cannot be recognized by a finite automaton because the automaton has a finite number of states and cannot handle an infinite number of symbols or input.

4. How is a recursively enumerable language with infinite alphabet related to the halting problem?

A recursively enumerable language with infinite alphabet is closely related to the halting problem, which is the problem of determining whether a given Turing machine will halt on a specific input. This is because recursively enumerable languages are those that can be recognized by a Turing machine, and the halting problem is undecidable for Turing machines.

5. What are some examples of recursively enumerable languages with infinite alphabet?

Some examples of recursively enumerable languages with infinite alphabet include the set of all binary strings, the set of all integers, and the set of all valid programs in a programming language with an infinite number of symbols. These languages can be recognized by a Turing machine, but not by a finite automaton.