Red & Blue US States: Who Decides & Is There Unfairness?

• News
  • Thread starter Helios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary, the conversation discusses the division of states into red and blue in the U.S.A. and the potential bias and meaning associated with these colors. The bystander brings up the idea that blue may be the preferred color for the majority of Americans. However, this has no relevance to the use of red and blue to represent political parties in media.
Helios
In the U.S.A., states have been divided into red and blue. Who got to choose this? If I were a decider for a political party, I would want the "other guy" to be red. There have been notorious regimes that have had a red flag. A map with an increasing hord of red looks disturbing. Is there unfairness here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please do not tell me we're going to start catering to micro-aggression based on primary colors --- there's just the one remaining, and while both major parties might deserve to claim it, both reject the connotation attached --- people are happy --- leave it that way.

Thanks for the link, Czcibor. I'll have to look into this. My opinion is more United States residents would prefer blue if they had to choose a "political color". In Civil War board games, look how the pieces are colored. ---and water taps, and Star Trek uniforms. Red is the dangerous member of a crew, while blue is the strategist, as with the Daleks. Colors have meaning based on conventions or opinions. I would wager that blue would win out in a national vote for the U.S.A.'s favorite color out of red, white, and blue. So what seems arbritray could actually give a visual and now semantic advantage to an assummed-to-be blue party.

Helios said:
Thanks for the link, Czcibor. I'll have to look into this. My opinion is more United States residents would prefer blue if they had to choose a "political color". In Civil War board games, look how the pieces are colored. ---and water taps, and Star Trek uniforms. Red is the dangerous member of a crew, while blue is the strategist, as with the Daleks. Colors have meaning based on conventions or opinions. I would wager that blue would win out in a national vote for the U.S.A.'s favorite color out of red, white, and blue. So what seems arbritray could actually give a visual and now semantic advantage to an assummed-to-be blue party.
What on Earth does a favorite color have to do with media showing which Presidential candidate carried a state? It's just a visual aid for viewers, and have changed in the past and may change in the future. Your reasons are nonsensical.

FAQ: Red & Blue US States: Who Decides & Is There Unfairness?

1. What are "Red" and "Blue" states in the US?

"Red" and "Blue" states are terms used to describe states in the United States that tend to vote predominantly for either the Republican Party (represented by the color red) or the Democratic Party (represented by the color blue) in presidential elections.

2. Who decides which states are "Red" or "Blue"?

The decision of which states are considered "Red" or "Blue" is based on the voting patterns and results of each state in presidential elections. These decisions are made by media outlets and political analysts, and can vary slightly from one source to another.

3. Is there any unfairness in the way states are categorized as "Red" or "Blue"?

The categorization of states as "Red" or "Blue" is based on their voting patterns, which can be influenced by a variety of factors such as historical voting trends, demographics, and campaign strategies. Some may argue that this categorization can be unfair to certain states that may have diverse political views within their population.

4. Can a state change from being "Red" to "Blue" or vice versa?

Yes, a state's political leaning can change over time. This can be influenced by shifts in demographics, changes in party platforms, and the outcome of elections. For example, a traditionally "Red" state may vote for a Democratic candidate in a presidential election, causing it to be categorized as "Blue" for that particular election.

5. How does the categorization of states as "Red" or "Blue" impact elections?

The categorization of states as "Red" or "Blue" can have an impact on elections as it can influence campaign strategies and the distribution of resources by political parties. Additionally, the majority of states being categorized as either "Red" or "Blue" can also contribute to a sense of division and polarization among voters.