Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Red and Blue States

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    In the U.S.A., states have been divided into red and blue. Who got to choose this? If I were a decider for a political party, I would want the "other guy" to be red. There have been notorious regimes that have had a red flag. A map with an increasing hord of red looks disturbing. Is there unfairness here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please do not tell me we're going to start catering to micro-aggression based on primary colors --- there's just the one remaining, and while both major parties might deserve to claim it, both reject the connotation attached --- people are happy --- leave it that way.

4. Jul 18, 2015 #3
  5. Jul 18, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the link, Czcibor. I'll have to look into this. My opinion is more United States residents would prefer blue if they had to choose a "political color". In Civil War board games, look how the pieces are colored. ---and water taps, and Star Trek uniforms. Red is the dangerous member of a crew, while blue is the strategist, as with the Daleks. Colors have meaning based on conventions or opinions. I would wager that blue would win out in a national vote for the U.S.A.'s favorite color out of red, white, and blue. So what seems arbritray could actually give a visual and now semantic advantage to an assummed-to-be blue party.

6. Jul 18, 2015 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What on earth does a favorite color have to do with media showing which Presidential candidate carried a state? It's just a visual aid for viewers, and have changed in the past and may change in the future. Your reasons are nonsensical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook