Redox potential (Using the Nernst Equation)

In summary, the redox midpoint potential (Eo’) of NAD+/NADH at pH 7.0 is -320 mV. The concentrations of [NAD+] and [NADH] in a cell with a total concentration of 1.5 mM {[NAD+] + [NADH]} and a cellular redox potential of -200 mV are 1.5E-3M and 6.30957344E-11M, respectively. Under oxidative stress conditions where the cellular redox potential is increased to -100 mV, the concentrations of [NAD+] and [NADH] will both be 7.5E-4M. The formula used for calculating
Gannon
The redox midpoint potential (Eo’) of NAD+/NADH at pH 7.0 is -320 mV. If the total concentration of {[NAD+] + [NADH]} is 1.5 mM in cells, and the cellular redox potential is about -200 mV, what are the concentrations of [NAD+] and [NADH], respectively? Under certain oxidative stress conditions, the cellular redox potential is increased to -100 mV. What will be the concentrations of [NAD+] and [NADH] in this cell under the oxidative stress conditions? (Assume pH 7.0 is not changed under oxidative stress conditions).

Eh = Eo' - (RT/nF)ln(reduced/oxidized) but what does he mean by "oxidized," the molecule being oxidized (NADH) or what has been oxidized (NAD+)?

When I do this problem I keep getting an extremely small numbers that do me no good in the end; what am I doing wrong here? I'll just show the first part of the question (Eh = -200mV).

Eh = Eo' - (RT/nF)ln(reduced/oxidized)
Eh = -200E-3V, Eo' = -320E-3V
-200E-3V = -320E-3V - [(1.987E-3)(298)/(2)(23.1)]ln([red]/[ox])
120E-3V = (-0.01174)ln([red]/[ox])
-10.2 = ln([red]/[ox])
e^(-10.2) = [red]/[ox]
6.30957344E-11[ox] = [red]

[ox] + [red] = 1.5E-3M (total)
6.30957344E-11[ox] +[ox] = [red]
From here, because the coefficient for [ox] is so small I get [ox] = [red].

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
"reduced/oxidized" means the concentration of the reduced form of the ion or atom or specie divided by the oxidized form of the ion or atom or specie.

Gannon said:
The redox midpoint potential (Eo’) of NAD+/NADH at pH 7.0 is -320 mV. If the total concentration of {[NAD+] + [NADH]} is 1.5 mM in cells, and the cellular redox potential is about -200 mV, what are the concentrations of [NAD+] and [NADH], respectively? Under certain oxidative stress conditions, the cellular redox potential is increased to -100 mV. What will be the concentrations of [NAD+] and [NADH] in this cell under the oxidative stress conditions? (Assume pH 7.0 is not changed under oxidative stress conditions).

Eh = Eo' - (RT/nF)ln(reduced/oxidized) but what does he mean by "oxidized," the molecule being oxidized (NADH) or what has been oxidized (NAD+)?

When I do this problem I keep getting an extremely small numbers that do me no good in the end; what am I doing wrong here? I'll just show the first part of the question (Eh = -200mV).

Eh = Eo' - (RT/nF)ln(reduced/oxidized)
Eh = -200E-3V, Eo' = -320E-3V
-200E-3V = -320E-3V - [(1.987E-3)(298)/(2)(23.1)]ln([red]/[ox])
120E-3V = (-0.01174)ln([red]/[ox])
-10.2 = ln([red]/[ox])
e^(-10.2) = [red]/[ox]
6.30957344E-11[ox] = [red]

[ox] + [red] = 1.5E-3M (total)
6.30957344E-11[ox] +[ox] = [red]
From here, because the coefficient for [ox] is so small I get [ox] = [red].

Any help is greatly appreciated!

What units are you using for R and F?

R is 1.987E -3 kcal/mol/degree; F is 23.1 kcal/V/mol.

RT/nF should give about 60 mV/n, it doesn't.

Related to Redox potential (Using the Nernst Equation)

1. What is Redox Potential?

Redox potential, also known as oxidation-reduction potential, is a measure of the tendency of a chemical species to lose or gain electrons. It is a way to quantify the ability of a substance to undergo oxidation or reduction reactions.

2. How is Redox Potential measured?

The standard unit for redox potential is volts (V) or millivolts (mV). It can be measured using a redox electrode, which consists of a metal or semiconductor that is in contact with a solution containing the chemical species of interest.

3. What is the Nernst Equation?

The Nernst equation is an equation that relates the redox potential of a system to the concentrations of the chemical species involved. It is given by E = E° - (RT/nF)*ln(Q), where E is the redox potential, E° is the standard redox potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, n is the number of electrons transferred in the reaction, F is the Faraday constant, and Q is the reaction quotient.

4. What factors affect Redox Potential?

The redox potential of a system is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of the chemical species involved. pH can also have a significant impact on redox potential, as it can affect the concentrations of hydrogen ions and other species that can participate in redox reactions.

5. What is the significance of Redox Potential in environmental science?

Redox potential plays a crucial role in the biogeochemical cycling of elements in the environment. It can determine the availability and mobility of nutrients and pollutants in soil and water systems. It is also an important parameter in assessing the redox conditions of natural systems and their potential for supporting various forms of life.