Reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx

However, the first-order relation "just fell out" of the integration by parts I used in the very first line of my solution above.In summary, the conversation discusses deriving a reduction formula for ∫(lnx)n dx and using it to evaluate ∫1e (lnx)3dx. The formula is derived using integration by parts and a recurrence relation is found for the integral. The recurrence relation is then used to evaluate the given integral. Another approach using a first-order recurrence relation is also suggested.
privyet

Homework Statement

derive a reduction formula for ∫(lnx)n dx and use it to evaluate ∫1e (lnx)3dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In other examples we've started by saying ∫(lnx)ndx = ∫(lnx)(lnx)n-1dx and using integration by parts. So let:
f = (lnx)n-1
f' = (n-1)(lnx)n-2*1/x
g = x(lnx - 1)
g' = lnx

then ∫(lnx)ndx
= (lnx)n-1x(lnx - 1) - ∫(n-1)(lnx)n-2(lnx - 1) dx
= (lnx)n-1x(lnx - 1) - (n-1)∫(lnx)n-1 - (lnx)n-2 dx
= (lnx)n-1x(lnx - 1) - (n-1)∫(lnx)n-1 + (n-1)∫(lnx)n-2

at this point I get stuck because in all the examples I have seen we get minus the initial integral on the right and side and can add it to both sides to get n∫lnx)n dx = ... so ∫lnx)n dx =1/n[...]

Any help would be very appreciated.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
If ##I_n=\int\ln(x)^n.dx## then you have found the recurrence relation ##I_n=\ln(x)^{n-1}x(\ln(x) - 1) -(n-1)I_{n-1}+(n-1)I_{n-2}##.
You are not asked to solve it, except in the special case cited.

• Love
Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
If ##I_n=\int\ln(x)^n.dx## then you have found the recurrence relation ##I_n=\ln(x)^{n-1}x(\ln(x) - 1) -(n-1)I_{n-1}+(n-1)I_{n-2}##.
You are not asked to solve it, except in the special case cited.
Careful. ##\ln (x)^n \neq (\ln x)^n##.

@privyet
You have solved the problem for ##n\geqslant 2## where ##I_0 :=x## may be assumed. Now use this recursive relation to evaluate the integral you need.

Likes Delta2
nuuskur said:
Careful. ##\ln (x)^n \neq (\ln x)^n##.
Really? I did not write ##\ln (x^n)##. I would have thought the parentheses defined what is the argument to the function.

Likes malawi_glenn and Delta2
By setting [tex]\begin{split}
I_n &= \int (\ln x)^n\,dx \\
&= \int x \frac{(\ln x)^n}{x}\,dx \\
&= \int x \frac{1}{n+1}\frac{d}{dx} (\ln x)^{n+1}\,dx \\
&= \frac{1}{n+1}\left[x(\ln x)^{n+1}\right] - \frac1{n+1}I_{n+1} \\
\end{split}[/tex] (which is a standard trick for dealing with powers of [itex]\ln x[/itex]) I obtain the first-order recurrence [tex]
I_{n} = x(\ln x)^n - nI_{n-1},\qquad I_0 = x.[/tex] This seems easier to work with than the second order recurrence given by @haruspex in #2 based on the OP's approach. That second order recurrence can be obtained from the above by subtracting [tex]I_{n-1} = x(\ln x)^{n-1} - (n-1)I_{n-2}[/tex] from both sides.

• Love
Likes Delta2, haruspex and SammyS

1. What is the reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx?

The reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx is:

∫(lnx)^n dx = x(lnx)^n - n∫(lnx)^(n-1) dx

2. Why is the reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx useful?

The reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx is useful because it allows us to solve for integrals involving natural logarithmic functions that have a power greater than 1. It helps simplify the integration process and can be applied to a wide range of problems.

3. How is the reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx derived?

The reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx can be derived using integration by parts. By setting u = (lnx)^n and dv = dx, we can use the formula:

∫u dv = uv - ∫v du

to obtain the reduction formula.

4. Can the reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx be used for all values of n?

Yes, the reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx can be used for all values of n, as long as n is a real number. However, for n = 1, the formula simplifies to ∫(lnx) dx = xlnx - x + C.

5. Are there any special cases for the reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx?

Yes, there are two special cases for the reduction formula for ∫(lnx)^n dx:

If n is equal to 0, the formula simplifies to ∫dx = x + C.

If n is a negative integer, the formula cannot be applied and a different method must be used to evaluate the integral.