1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduction of PDE to an ODE by means of linear change of variables

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So it's been a really long time since I've done any ode/linear algebra and would like some help with this problem.

Derive the general solution of the given equation by using an appropriate change of variables

2[tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex]t + 3[tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex]x = 0

The thing that I'm really confused about is how do we decide what an appropriate change of variable is? Is there a general rule that I should go by?

3. The attempt at a solution

none yet because I'm not sure how to find the appropriate change of variable

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(2*d/dt+3*d/dx)u=0. Suppose u is a function only of 3t-2x?
  4. Jan 12, 2009 #3
    I understand what that means but the book seems to want a different way to approach this. In their example, they used [tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex]t + [tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex]x = 0.

Next, they made two linear change of variables equations i think...

[tex]\alpha [/tex] = ax+bt and [tex]\beta[/tex] = cx + dt
    where a,b,c,d will be chosen appropriately. Then they used chain rule in 2 dimension giving:

[tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex]x=[tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]*[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]/[tex]\delta[/tex]x + [tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\beta[/tex]*[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\beta[/tex]/[tex]\delta[/tex]t

and then they did the same for [tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex]t

which gives them (a+b)[tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]+(c+d)[tex]\delta[/tex]u/[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\beta[/tex] = 0

Then they assumed a =1, b=0, c=1, d=-1 which gives them:

and they were able to find the general solution from there.

So I guess what I meant is how were they able to determine what [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?