1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Reflected rings from the chair leg

1. Dec 26, 2017 #1
    This is a pic of sun rays IMAG1447.jpg shining on the metallic leg of the chair. The reflection comes on the floor of my room as rings. The source is just a square window. No other light sources in the room aside from reflection from the walls. The leg of the chair is cylinder in shape with smooth surface.
    I am wondering what causes those rings?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suspect magnification of small ripples in the surface of the tubes.

4. Dec 26, 2017 #3

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

5. Dec 26, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yes, cool picture. :smile:
    @Adel Makram -- It's hard to see in your picture, but if you look closely, do you see the color separation that the Wikipedia article mentions?

6. Dec 26, 2017 #5
    The color of the carpet is blue but I could not see any colors at all. Also, to be honest, this is not the separation distance seen in the soap bubbles described in Newton lines assuming the interference pattern. Also, the surface of the chair tubes is entirely smooth with no ripples.

7. Dec 27, 2017 #6

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There could be a coating of wax on the metal leg. This would cause rings due to interference between the two reflections.

8. Dec 27, 2017 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'Pears to be "centered" on the "bend" in the leg.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted