Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflecting of reflection in relation to time

1. Sep 24, 2006 #1
    I'm speculating about the nature of time, or at least a perception of it, and I'm thinking of an analogy to represent some of these speculations.

I thought about how images are reflected to infinity when placed between two mirrors, but I would like to specifically know what the reflection of an eye placed in the centre of a perfectly mirrored sphere would see?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

This is not altogether different from the rotating mirror experiment to measure the speed of light. In parallel mirrors, a light beam in motion will suffer tiny displacements in multiply reflected images. The effect is limited by reflectivity losses, but measurable.
  4. Sep 25, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The situation given here is completely static and has nothing to do with time.
  5. Sep 25, 2006 #4
    Well, the situation my analogy of time is meant to describe may also be static, and that time as motion/direction may indeed (under certain circumstances) be described instead as time as a state not in motion (but perhaps of space as an expanse).

There is a philosophic content to my analogy as well, so perhaps my request is misplaced in this section. However, upon knowing the answer to my question, I will complicate it to achieve another step in the thinking process toward the final analogy. Thanks so far. G
  6. Sep 26, 2006 #5
    Perhaps you should think about motion, Zegnarfol. Consider a space containing a single featureless object. There is no motion, and no concept of no time. Now consider a space containing two adjacent objects. There is still no motion, and still no concept of time. But now start the objects moving and there is a concept of time. But note it is a concept, a perception. What is actually out there is the space and the objects with their changing locations.
  7. Sep 27, 2006 #6
    Yes, farsight, that is along the lines I'm progressing with. Thank you. As I'm looking at the static aspect of time, I'm also tying in the idea of stasis of location as a complimentary facet of my analogy that implies primacy of changing perception, in the sense that, if all substance were omnipresent and all circumstances on a closed timeline were encapsulated in a frozen moment (the mirrored sphere), perception acts as another kind of mirror reflecting only those events and substances inherent in the reflecting properties of the perceptive mirror.

However, I still really require some feedback on my original question of what reflection is seen within a mirrored sphere? Does anyone have any idea? After I have an idea of that, I can present the question in a more developed form. Cheers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?