Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection coefficient calculation

1. Dec 13, 2014 #1
    Hi there,

I am wondering how to calculate the reflection coefficient of walls upon incident light versus wavelengths,,

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    Thanks for your reply, i mean part of the light reflected and a part get absorbed as infrared light is used as a source..

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4
    To calculate knowing what? You need to know something about the wall (and the light) in order to calculate the coefficient of reflection. What is your input data?

6. Dec 16, 2014 #5
    Hi,thanks for reply, OK, am simulating a system inside a room of (3x3x2.5)m^3 , the only source is a bulb light fixed on the ceiling,so I would like to calculate the reflection coefficient of the walls which then used in Lambertian formula of DC channel gain...

7. Dec 16, 2014 #6
    The size of the room is not enough information to "calculate" the coefficient of reflection for the walls.
    Again, what do you know about the properties of the walls? The reflection depends on the materials on the two sides of the interface. In this case, is probably air and the paint on the wall. But the paint may not even be a homogeneous material. You may be more successful if you look up the reflection for that specific paint. But it will be just a rough estimate, the characteristics of the paint will change in time.

8. Dec 16, 2014 #7
    thank u so much , actually just a normal room ,but I don't know what material is it? I mean ,it could be any kind of office wall.Do you mean,if I can get the
    reflection of the material ,that would be the reflection coefficient...

9. Dec 22, 2014 #8
    Thanks,I have got another question please, for LED that is used in visible communication, Does the bandwidth sharply be between (400-700)nm or could extend to IR-region like incandescent lamps...

Many thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook