Reflection of light upon ourselves

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reflections and how they relate to our appearance and the appearance of dark objects. It is suggested that when light hits an object, it bounces off and produces a reflection, which is what we see. The question is then raised about whether this means that a reflection in a mirror is the true appearance of dark objects. The definition of "dark objects" is also questioned, as it is argued that an object that reflects light cannot be considered truly dark.
Nexus555
I was thinking... When you shine a light in a mirror, the surface is reflective enough to produce a smooth image. Are we reflections of light, or does light simply shine on us to light us up? It would seem like when light hits mass, it is reflected, which produces the images that we see. And if we are reflections of light, would a reflection of a person in a mirror actually present the true nature of dark objects, since it's backwards?

Science news on Phys.org
Generally when light hits an object like a person, it bounces off in all directions, and if that light hits someones eyes, then they see it.

What exactly is your question? What do you mean by the "true nature" of dark objects?

Indeed, what do you mean by "dark objects"!

Well what I'm saying is, if our appearance is merely a reflection of light (since the protons bounce off what it hits) then that would mean that when you look into a mirror, it's showing a reflection of a reflection, therefore making it the "true" appearance of dark objects. What I mean about dark objects is; without light reflecting off of dark objects, they are in their true appearance, although dark. When light hits them, it makes a reflection... Is this correct?

I fail to see why a second reflection of photons makes something "true"er. Also, why do you call objects that light is re-emitted from "dark" ? I would define a dark object to be an object that does not re-emit any incident light.

1. What causes reflection of light upon ourselves?

The reflection of light upon ourselves occurs when light rays from an external source hit our bodies and bounce back in the opposite direction. This happens because our bodies have a smooth, shiny surface that allows light to reflect off of it.

2. Why do we see our own reflection?

We see our own reflection because light bounces off of our bodies and into our eyes, allowing us to see the image of ourselves. The angle at which the light reflects off of our bodies determines the direction of our reflection that we see.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect the reflection of light upon ourselves?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which light rays hit our bodies, affects the reflection of light upon ourselves. The angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, meaning that the angle at which light hits our bodies is the same angle at which it reflects off of our bodies.

4. What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection of light upon ourselves?

Specular reflection of light upon ourselves occurs when light rays hit our bodies and bounce off at the same angle, resulting in a clear and focused image of ourselves. On the other hand, diffuse reflection of light upon ourselves occurs when light rays hit our bodies and scatter in many different directions, resulting in a blurred image of ourselves.

5. Can reflection of light upon ourselves be manipulated?

Yes, reflection of light upon ourselves can be manipulated through the use of mirrors or other reflective surfaces. By changing the angle of the reflective surface, we can change the angle at which light hits our bodies and therefore change the direction of our reflection.