1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection of vectors

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    Could someone explain how the reflection formula comes about?

R_a v = v - 2a(va)/ (aa) , where v and a are vectors and v is relected along the axis orthogonal to a

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I presume that by "va" and "aa" you mean the dot product.

Decompose [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] into components parallel to and orthogonal to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex].

Recall that [itex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex] can be defined as "[itex]|\vec{a}||\vec{v}| cos(\theta)[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex].

From simple trigonometry, the component of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] parallel to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] is [itex]|\vec{v}|cos(\theta)= \vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}/|\vec{a}|[/itex]. To get a "vector projection", a vector in the direction of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] with that length, multiply by the unit vector in the direction of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex], [itex]\vec{a}/|\vec{a}|[/itex]. That gives [itex](\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}/|\vec{a}|^2)\vec{a}[/itex] as the "vector component of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] parallel to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex]". Since the components parallel and perpendicular to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] must add to [itex]\vec{v}[/itex], the component perpendicular to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] is [itex]\vec{v}-(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}/|\vec{a}|^2)\vec{a}[/itex].

Now, reflecting [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] along an axis orthogonal to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] gives a new vector having the same component perpendicular to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] but with the component parallel reversed:
    [itex]\vec{v}-(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}/|\vec{a}|^2)\vec{a} -\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}/|\vec{a}|^2)\vec{a}[/itex]
    [itex]= \vec{v}-2(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{v}/|\vec{a}|^2)\vec{a}[/itex]

4. Apr 27, 2008 #3
    I have an incomplete answer, but maybe you can finish it.

Let v' be the reflection of v over some axis. If you try to draw a vector s such that v = v' + s, using the triangle method to add the vectors v and s, you'll see that s is orthogonal to the reflection axis, and thus colinear to a.

The drawing should show an isosceles triangle, bisected by the reflection axis, where the two equally-sized sides are |v| and |v'|, the third side being of size |s|. From this triangle you should be able to calculate the magnitude of s as equal to 2 . |v| . cos theta, where "theta" is the angle between v (or v') and the normal to the reflection axis. (Try it on the drawing!)

Now, the expression 2 . |v| . cos theta is equal in magnitude to 2 . (va) / |a|. Multiplying this quantity by an unitary vector in the direction of a, namely a / |a|, you should get your vector s... or almost. There is a +/-1 factor not accounted yet for: has s the same direction of a or the opposite?

(This sign is the missing part that I was lazy to complete - I'd guess it has to do with v being or not on the same side of the axis than a; examining the sign of (va) should give a clue.)

Doing the multiplication above (and correcting the sign), you should get s = 2 (va) . a / |a|^2 = 2 (va) . a / (aa), and when replacing this expression for s into v' = v - s, you get your reflection formula.

Edit: Oh, I was pwned again. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  5. Apr 27, 2008 #4
    thanks a lot!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook