Regarding Home Lab made to study crystallography

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating crystals at home and the necessary steps and materials needed. It also mentions different types of crystals that can be grown and the importance of verifying the properties of the final product.
John Lutz
1) Is it possible to create crystals at home beyond child crystal kits one can buy? I'm very serious
about putting work into studying and growing crystals. If so, what do I need?

2) Also how would it be possible to introduce vacancies in crystal growth ? I have heard of
things like ionic bombardment. I'm looking to build a lattice with regular periodicity and direction.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of crystals do you want to grow?

russ_watters said:
What kind of crystals do you want to grow?

Right off the top of my head: Quartz. Or anything stronger and more resilient than the molecular variety.

It's fairly elementary aside from inhalation dangers (not much but still exists), but you could use lead acetate to create lead crystals, it requires very little effort and knowledge though

Stephenk53 said:
It's fairly elementary aside from inhalation dangers (not much but still exists), but you could use lead acetate to create lead crystals, it requires very little effort and knowledge though
Interesting! I wouldn't need certain heat, time or pressure requirements to create quartz crystals?

YouTube is a rich source of DIY information. I tried some simple arches on YouTube for "growing crystals". I found numerous hits including Lead, borax, and quartz.

So once you have created this, how are you going to know that you have created what you think you should?

In proper professional endeavor, we try to verify everything that we make, so there is often a series of diagnostic techniques and equipment to test properties of such material. How do you proposed to know that you have actually made a "quartz crystal" and not just a lump of glass?

Zz.

Likes Tom.G

What is a home lab for studying crystallography?

A home lab for studying crystallography is a setup that allows individuals to conduct experiments and research on crystals in the comfort of their own homes. It typically includes equipment such as microscopes, spectrometers, and other instruments used for crystallography.

What are the benefits of having a home lab for crystallography?

Having a home lab for crystallography allows for convenient and flexible experimentation without having to rely on a formal laboratory. It also provides a cost-effective option for individuals who are interested in crystallography but may not have access to a professional lab.

What types of experiments can be conducted in a home lab for crystallography?

A home lab for crystallography can be used to conduct various experiments such as growing and observing crystals, determining crystal structures, and analyzing crystal properties. It can also be used for educational purposes and to further research in the field.

What safety precautions should be taken when setting up a home lab for crystallography?

It is important to follow proper safety protocols when setting up a home lab for crystallography, just as you would in a professional laboratory. This includes wearing protective gear, handling chemicals and equipment carefully, and properly disposing of any hazardous materials.

Are there any resources available for setting up a home lab for crystallography?

Yes, there are many online resources and guides available for setting up a home lab for crystallography. These resources can provide information on equipment, safety procedures, and experimental techniques. It is also helpful to connect with other crystallography enthusiasts and professionals for tips and advice.