Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding Inverse Laplace Transforms

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    I was looking through some tables of Laplace Transforms on f(t) the other day, and I noticed that in all cases, as [tex]s \to \infty[/tex], [tex]F(s) \to 0[/tex]. A question that I have been trying to prove is that if [tex]\lim_{s\to\infty}F(s) = 0[/tex], then does that necessitate whether [tex]F(s)[/tex] can undergo an inverse Laplace transform (i.e. by the Bromwich integral)?

I suspect that the answer is "no", but if anyone has some attempt at a proof I would appreciate it (my idea would be to use Post's inversion formula and utilizing the Grunwald-Letnikov differintegral for evaluating [tex]F^{(k)}\left(\frac{k}{t}\right)[/tex], but so far this has been futile)?

Thanks (and if my question needs any clarification please let me know),
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    Managed to prove it.
  4. Jan 22, 2010 #3
    Interesting. One book that I read gives |sF(s)| < M as a sufficient condition for the Bromwich integral to exist. With this condition it is not possible to invert [itex]F(s)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{s}}[/itex]. But of course we can find the inverse from the Laplace transform table.

Is there a more less restricted sufficient condition? As you stated [itex]\lim_{s\to\infty}F(s) = 0[/itex] doesn't works.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook