Reviving Clogged Print Head Jets: Tips and Tricks for Inkjet Printers

• Thread starter jmnew51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, someone told Jim that isopropyl alcohol sometimes solves it. He tried it and the print head mechanism is apparently malfunctioning. He's not sure if it's time for a new inkjet printer or not.
jmnew51
I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately, but here's another.
Does anyone know of a way to unclog the jets on the print head of an inkjet printer? I have the kind of printer where the print head and ink tanks are seperate. I've tried disassembling and soaking them in water, warm water overnight, with limited results. Right now I'm soaking them in methanol. Don't know what that'll do. Maybe destroy them? No big deal. I can't get them to spit out a drop of ink anyway. I'm just tired of paying high prices for ink and print heads:yuck: They cost more than I paid for the printer new.

Thanx again.

Jim

Computer science news on Phys.org
This has happened to me before. Usually it happens when I don't use my printer for like three weeks. I tried cleaning it by printing out patterns and what not, and I also did the manual cleaning. But no luck, so I had to buy a new one :( Mayb that's the case for you also.

Someone told me that isopropyl alcohol sometimes solves it. Give it a try before you waste all that money.

Yes. I tried the alcohol and all the pores in and thru the print head are clear. I verified this, but when I try to print with it it spits and sputters all over the paper. I think the print head mechanism itself may be malfuntioning, because when I try to print high res. nothing comes out at all. You see I refill the ink tanks myself, but I think the print head itself also has a finite life and doesn't last indefinetely.
Maybe it's time for a new inkjet.
Any suggestions?? What's good out there? I'm not looking for speed.
Thanx
Jim

If you don't need colour prints, get a b/w laser printer.

The idea of a laser printer is great, but yeah I do need color and a color laser printer is too expensive and too bulky right now. Soooo inkjet it is. Any ideas? What's a good brand/model??
Thanx
Jim

1. How do I know when my print head needs rejuvenation?

The most common signs that your print head needs rejuvenation include streaks, lines, or missing portions in your printed documents, as well as faded or blurry text or images. If you have already tried cleaning the print head and the issues persist, it is likely time for rejuvenation.

2. Can I rejuvenate a print head myself?

Yes, it is possible to rejuvenate a print head yourself. There are various methods and products available, such as cleaning kits and solutions, that can help remove clogs and debris from the print head. However, it is important to follow instructions carefully and be cautious to avoid damaging the print head.

3. How often should I rejuvenate my print head?

The frequency of rejuvenation will depend on the usage and maintenance of your printer. If you use your printer frequently and regularly clean the print head, rejuvenation may only be needed once every few months. However, if your printer is used less frequently or experiences clogging issues more often, rejuvenation may be needed more frequently.

4. Can rejuvenation fix all print head issues?

No, rejuvenation is not a guaranteed solution for all print head issues. If the print head is damaged or malfunctioning, rejuvenation may not be effective. It is also important to note that some printers have permanent print heads that cannot be rejuvenated.

5. Is it better to replace a print head or rejuvenate it?

Replacing a print head can be a costly and time-consuming process, so rejuvenation is often preferred as a first step. If rejuvenation is unsuccessful or the print head is damaged beyond repair, then replacement may be necessary. It is also important to consider the cost and availability of replacement print heads for your specific printer model.

Back