Related Rates (similar triangles)

In summary, the street light is at the top of an 18 ft tall pole and a woman 6 ft tall walks away from it with a speed of 8 ft/sec. The tip of her shadow will be at 45 ft and the speed of the tip of her shadow is dependent on how fast she is moving, not on her position. Using the equation 12x=18y and differentiating, we get dx/dt=dy/dt(12/18). Plugging in 8 ft/sec for dy/dt, we get a dx/dt of 16/3 ft/sec.
phat2107

Homework Statement

A street light is at the top of a 18 ft tall pole. A woman 6 ft tall walks away from the pole with a speed of 8 ft/sec along a straight path. How fast is the tip of her shadow moving when she is 30 ft from the base of the pole?

Homework Equations

http://imageiso.com/out.php/i26481_Relatedrates.JPG

18/x = 6(x-y)

The Attempt at a Solution

y=30 ft

simplified 12x=18y

tip of shadow will be at 45 ft

d/dt 12x = d/dt 18y

dx/dt 12 = dy/dt 18

if i plug the 8ft/s as my dx/dt i get a dy/dt of 16/3ft/s

but that can't be the right answer since i didnt use the 30ft given in my original question

where am i going astray?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't going astray. Think about the fact that maybe the speed of the tip of the shadow only depends on how fast she is moving, and not where she happens to be.

if what you said is true, than for some reason my answer of 16/3 isn't correct (its online so i get my answers right away if i am correct)

i still don't get what's wrong...

a little more insight will be greatly appreciated

phat2107 said:
if what you said is true, than for some reason my answer of 16/3 isn't correct (its online so i get my answers right away if i am correct)

i still don't get what's wrong...

a little more insight will be greatly appreciated

Your analysis is fine. You just plugged your 8 feet/sec in for the wrong variable. It is dy/dt that is 8 and dx/dt you are seeking.

1. What are related rates in terms of similar triangles?

Related rates in terms of similar triangles refer to the relationship between two objects or quantities that are changing at the same time, and their rates of change are related because of the similarity of their corresponding sides in a triangle.

2. How can similar triangles be used to solve related rates problems?

Similar triangles can be used to solve related rates problems by setting up proportions between corresponding sides of the triangles and using the known rates of change to find the unknown rates of change.

3. What is the role of the Pythagorean Theorem in solving related rates problems?

The Pythagorean Theorem is used to establish the relationship between the sides of a right triangle, which is crucial in setting up proportions between similar triangles and solving related rates problems involving right triangles.

4. How do you know when to use similar triangles in a related rates problem?

You can use similar triangles in a related rates problem when the objects or quantities involved are changing at the same time and their rates of change are related because of the similarity of their corresponding sides in a triangle.

5. Can similar triangles be used to solve related rates problems in real-life applications?

Yes, similar triangles can be used to solve related rates problems in real-life applications, such as calculating the rate at which the shadow of a building is moving or the rate at which the water level in a conical tank is changing.