Distance formula vs similar triangles

In summary: If you think about it, the vertical side corresponds to ##height##, and the horizontal side corresponds to ##length##. So, the equation becomes 16/20=d/12.
fayan77
Hello, took a year off school, now shaking the rust off. so according to the book using similar triangles d=9.6 I understand how they got the answer, but i used distance formula from the point to the origin and got 9.8 I checked 9.6 and it checks out with the numbers but Idk why using the distance formula yields a different answer. am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
To use the distance formula, you need the coordinates of that point. How did you find the coordinates? What were the steps that you used?

the book shows point A (4,9) sorry for the picture quality, my phone sucks.

I moved your thread to your homework section.
The picture quality is really problematic.

(4,9) are not the coordinates of any interesting point in the sketch.

9.6 is correct.

(4,9) is a point on that line between (0,12) and (16,0), but it is not the point of intersection {it does not satisfy the (4/3) slope from the origin}. You can find the intersection point by finding where the two lines meet.
It is not hard, just two straight lines to find the (x,y) coordinate. The actual intersection point is (5.76,7.68) which you can now use the distance formula and get the same answer.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I wouldn't solve this via similar triangles, by the way. The area of a triangle can be calculated as length*height/2. You can use the vertical and horizontal sides as length and height to find the area. Then you can use the long diagonal and the unknown length (also a length/height pair) to find the unknown length.

yeah that is what i did i took the slope and line then derived an orthogonal line passing through origin and found the point. That point on the book is confusing tho. thanks.

fayan77 said:
yeah that is what i did i took the slope and line then derived an orthogonal line passing through origin and found the point.
That's not what I meant.

12=3*4 and 16=4*4, and you should recognize 3,4,5 as right triangle. Therefore, the hypothenuse has a length of 5*4=20.

The area of the triangle is 12*16/2.

If we call the unknown length h, we get 12*16/2 = 20*h/2.
The unknown length is then h=12*16/20, and that is something you can calculate easily.

Likes scottdave
mfb said:
I wouldn't solve this via similar triangles, by the way. The area of a triangle can be calculated as length*height/2. You can use the vertical and horizontal sides as length and height to find the area. Then you can use the long diagonal and the unknown length (also a length/height pair) to find the unknown length.

Wouldn't similar triangles be the easiest possible way? Solving ##16/20 = d/12## is about as simple as it gets.

Of course, one would first need to recognize that the large triangle has hypotenuse 20, as you have indicated.

Likes scottdave
Well, it leads to the same formula, but you have to think which side corresponds to what.

1. What is the distance formula and how is it related to similar triangles?

The distance formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the distance between two points in a coordinate plane. It is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and is often used in geometry and algebra. Similar triangles, which have the same shape but different sizes, are related to the distance formula because they can be used to find missing sides in a right triangle, which are then used in the formula.

2. How do you use the distance formula to find the distance between two points?

To use the distance formula, you first need to identify the coordinates of two points on a coordinate plane. Then, plug these coordinates into the formula: d = √((x2 - x1)² + (y2 - y1)²). The resulting value is the distance between the two points.

3. Can the distance formula be applied to any type of triangle?

No, the distance formula is specifically used for calculating the distance between two points in a coordinate plane. It can only be applied to right triangles, as it is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, which only applies to right triangles. However, the formula can be used in combination with similar triangles to find missing sides in any type of triangle.

4. What is the difference between the distance formula and the Pythagorean theorem?

The distance formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem, but they have different applications. The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle, while the distance formula is used to find the distance between two points in a coordinate plane. Additionally, the Pythagorean theorem can only be used in right triangles, while the distance formula can be used in any type of triangle as long as the coordinates of two points are known.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the distance formula and similar triangles?

Yes, the distance formula and similar triangles have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in navigation and mapmaking to calculate distances between locations. They are also used in engineering and construction to ensure accurate measurements and proportions. Additionally, they are used in physics and astronomy to calculate distances and sizes of objects in space.