Similar Triangles, Light and Shadow.

In summary, the problem involves a man walking away from a light pole at a certain rate, causing his shadow to change in length. By using similar triangles and differentiating with respect to time, we can find an equation relating the rate of change of the man's distance from the pole and the rate of change of his shadow length. Solving this equation can give us the rate at which the length of his shadow is changing when he is 30 feet away from the base of the pole.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

A man 6 feet tall walks at a rate of 5 feet per second away from a light that is attached to a pole 15 feet above the ground. At what rate is the length of his shadow changing when he is 30 feet from the base of the pole?

I get that this is really like a two similar triangle problem, the way the light is shining and the shadow cast by the man

so i called the larger triangle ∆abc
and the smaller ∆xyz

The larger is the one that is caused by the light
a (x value) = 30 feet (Distance from Light Pole) + Shadow Length
b (y value) = 15 feet (Light Pole)
c (z value) = the Pythagorean value

The smaller triangle
x (x value) = Shadow Length
y (y value) = 6 feet (Man's Height)
z (z value) = the Pythagorean Value

Now i have figured out some values.
a = 30 feet
b = 15 feet
y = 6 feet
c2 = (302 + (b - y)2)
c = √981

Homework Equations

I assume a2 + b2 = c2
since it's a right triangle
but i don't have enough values

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't really have one. Sorry if that was confusing. I can try and clarify if need be.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know the hypotenuse of either triangle so the Pythagorean theorem is not needed. Use "similar triangles" instead.

Let "x" be the man's distance from the lamp post, s the length of his shadow. Then one triangle, the one with the lamp post as a side, has a leg of length x+ s and a side of length 15. The other triangle, the one with the man as a side, has corresponding sides of length 6 and s. Since those are similar triangles, we have
[tex]\frac{x+s}{15}= \frac{x}{6}[/itex]

Differentiate that with respect to time, t, getting an equation relating dx/dt and dy/dt. You are told what dx/dt is and can use that to find dy/dt.

HallsofIvy said:
You don't need to know the hypotenuse of either triangle so the Pythagorean theorem is not needed. Use "similar triangles" instead.

Let "x" be the man's distance from the lamp post, s the length of his shadow. Then one triangle, the one with the lamp post as a side, has a leg of length x+ s and a side of length 15. The other triangle, the one with the man as a side, has corresponding sides of length 6 and s. Since those are similar triangles, we have
[tex]\frac{x+s}{15}= \frac{x}{6}[/itex]

Differentiate that with respect to time, t, getting an equation relating dx/dt and dy/dt. You are told what dx/dt is and can use that to find dy/dt.

should it be
[tex]\frac{x+s}{15}= \frac{s}{6}[/itex]
since in this case the s is with the man who's 6 feet?
Also then do i solve for a variable like
x = (15s / 6) - s
What equation can i use here to solve this?

Last edited:

1. What are similar triangles?

Similar triangles are two triangles that have the same shape but may have different sizes. This means that all corresponding angles are equal and the corresponding sides are in proportion.

2. How can similar triangles be used in real life?

Similar triangles can be used to solve problems involving indirect measurement, such as finding the height of a tall object or the distance between two objects. They are also used in computer graphics and map making.

3. What is the relationship between similar triangles and light?

The relationship between similar triangles and light is known as the Law of Similarity. This law states that for two objects to be perceived as similar in shape, they must have the same angular size and be illuminated by the same light source.

4. How does light and shadow affect the perception of shape?

Light and shadow play a crucial role in our perception of shape. The direction and intensity of light can create the illusion of depth, making objects appear larger or smaller. Shadows also provide important visual cues about the shape and position of objects.

5. Can similar triangles be used in art and design?

Yes, similar triangles are commonly used in art and design to create the illusion of depth and to maintain visual harmony. They are also used in the golden ratio, a mathematical concept that is often used in art and design to create aesthetically pleasing compositions.