Relating Electric Field and Magnetic Field

In summary, to make the paths of protons straight, the net force on the proton must be equal to the force exerted by the magnetic field and opposite in direction. Using the Lorentz Force, we can calculate the magnitude of the electric field needed to achieve this, which is given by the equation E = F/q. By manipulating the equations for velocity and force, we can solve for the velocity of the protons and determine the necessary direction and magnitude of the electric field.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

Protons move in a circle of radius 7.70cm in a 0.536 T magnetic field. What value of electric field could make their paths straight?

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

r = 0.0770 m
B = 0.536 T
m = 1.6*10^-27 kg
q = 1.6*10^-19 C

E = F / q

I'm not sure how to get force without a velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PeachBanana,

Consider the answers to these questions:

If both an electric and magnetic field are present, how can you write the net force on the proton?

In order for the proton to move in a straight line, the net force on the proton must be what?

What kind of velocity does the proton have when it's circling around in a magnetic field? And what is the equation for that kind of velocity?

This should give you a hint:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotron_motion

What should be the direction and magnitude of electric field so that protons go in straight direction?
If the force due to electric field is opposite to the direction of force and equal in magnitude to force exerted by the magnetic field, the protons go in a straight path.
i.e qvB=qE.

To get the velocity, i guess you are given sufficient data, what is the relation between velocity and radius?

I have now come up with:

qvB = mv^2 /r

qb = mv/r

v = rqB/m

v = (0.0770 m)(1.9*10^-19)(0.536 T) / (1.67 * 10^-27 kg)

v = 4.0*10^6 m/s

Hmm.

Just realized I solved for the wrong variable completely. Since F = qvb and I know "v," I can solve for "F." When I know "F", I can then use the fact that E = F/q.

PeachBanana said:
Since F = qvb and I know "v," I can solve for "F." When I know "F", I can then use the fact that E = F/q.

Edit: Ah yes, I see what you're doing. That should give you the correct numerical answer. Just make sure you specify the directions of the fields. For future reference, you should look at the Lorentz Force. This is the net force on a charged particle when both electric and magnetic fields are present.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related, as they are both components of the electromagnetic force. When an electric field changes, it produces a magnetic field, and vice versa.

2. How are electric and magnetic fields measured?

Electric and magnetic fields can be measured using specialized instruments such as voltmeters and magnetometers. These instruments can detect the strength and direction of the fields at a particular point in space.

3. What is the role of electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic radiation?

Electric and magnetic fields play a crucial role in the propagation of electromagnetic radiation. The oscillation of these fields creates a wave that carries energy through space, allowing for the transmission of light, radio waves, and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

4. Can electric and magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Both electric and magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by certain materials. For example, metal shields can block electric fields, while materials such as iron can redirect or absorb magnetic fields.

5. How do electric and magnetic fields interact with matter?

Electric and magnetic fields can have different effects on matter depending on the properties of the material. In conductors, electric fields can induce the flow of electric current, while magnetic fields can cause charged particles to move. In insulators, these fields can cause polarization and other effects.