Relation between Signal to Noise ratio and Logical Interference

In summary, the relation between SNR/SINR and interference (logical/physical) depends on the type of system being used. The website provided explains the concept of E_c/I_0, but it is important to consider other sources of interference such as other cells or internal thermal noise. The notation used also varies depending on the standard or technology being used.
md.kamal1262
Hi there, I want to modify a equation which is written for Singal to Noise Ratio. Now I want to change for logical interference. But I could not find any reliable source of explanation, " what is the relation between SNR/SINR and interference(Logical/Physical)?"

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello md.kamal1262,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
md.kamal1262 said:
Hi there, I want to modify a equation which is written for Singal to Noise Ratio. Now I want to change for logical interference. But I could not find any reliable source of explanation, " what is the relation between SNR/SINR and interference(Logical/Physical)?"
It kind of depends on what type of system you're working with.

Here is a place to start.

http://www.telecomhall.com/what-is-ecio-and-ebno.aspx

That gives you an explanation of [itex] E_c/I_0 [/itex]. But after that you want to consider whether the interference from other cells/base stations/NodeB/access points are also being considered as "interference." Then, you'll still need to consider whether the receiver's internal thermal noise is considered too. They all take different forms of "[itex] E_c/I_0 [/itex]" such as [itex] E_c/I_{0r} [/itex], [itex] E_c/\hat I_{0r} [/itex]. Of course, even that notation depends on the standard/technology in question.

1. What is the relationship between signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and logical interference?

The signal-to-noise ratio refers to the ratio of the desired signal to the background noise. Logical interference, on the other hand, refers to any other signal that may interfere with the desired signal. Therefore, a higher SNR means a stronger desired signal relative to noise, which results in less logical interference.

2. How does a high SNR affect logical interference?

A high SNR means that the desired signal is significantly stronger than the background noise. This makes it easier to distinguish the desired signal from any other signals that may cause logical interference. As a result, a higher SNR reduces the impact of logical interference on the overall signal quality.

3. Is there a specific SNR threshold that guarantees no logical interference?

No, there is no specific SNR threshold that guarantees no logical interference. The level of SNR required to avoid logical interference depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the signal and the environment in which it is transmitted. However, a higher SNR generally results in less logical interference.

4. Can logical interference be eliminated by increasing the SNR?

No, increasing the SNR cannot completely eliminate logical interference. While a higher SNR can reduce the impact of logical interference, it cannot eliminate it entirely. This is because logical interference can come from various sources, and some may be difficult to eliminate even with a high SNR.

5. How can one improve the SNR to reduce logical interference?

One way to improve SNR is by using signal processing techniques, such as filtering and amplification, to enhance the desired signal. Additionally, minimizing the distance between the transmitter and receiver, and reducing the amount of background noise in the environment, can also improve SNR and reduce logical interference.