1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signal to noise ratio for thermal and shot noise

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The output of a sensor which produces 10000 electrons is connected to parallel RC circuit with Resistance= 50 ohm, and the capacitance=10pF.
    Calculate the signal to noise ratio at temperature 300K.

2. Relevant equations
    SNR= 10 log (power of signal/ power of noise)
    Or SNR = 20log ( voltage signal / voltage noise)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Voltage=C/Q=624.15V
    Power of signal= voltage square / resistance= 7791.2 J
    But how to calculate power of noise? The thermal noise = 4kTf, where k is boltzman constant, f is frequency bandwidth. Yet not given , but I can only think of these formula for thermal noise and 10000 electron need to include shot noise?

Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2014 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check your equation for the voltage on a capacitor--it's not quite right. Then use this hint: the noise bandwidth is determined by the RC filter.

4. Jan 11, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that 10,000 electrons or 10,000 electrons per second?

5. Jan 11, 2014 #4
    Yup, V =Q/C , and f=1/(2∏RC)
    But why is this the Bandwidth? The impedance of capacitor is same as resistance so we get maximum power for?
    And 10000 electrons need to consider shot noise? If I consider, so I just add thermal noise voltage and shot noise together to get the total voltage noise?

6. Jan 11, 2014 #5
    10000 electrons without telling time, but even telling time, I still can calculate the thermal and shot noise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted