Relationship between collision and relaxation

In summary, collisions in a system can affect relaxation by increasing the overall energy and making it more difficult for particles to reach a lower energy state. The type of collisions can also impact relaxation, with elastic collisions conserving energy and momentum and inelastic collisions resulting in a slower process. Generally, a higher frequency of collisions can lead to a faster relaxation rate due to increased energy transfer between particles. Temperature also plays a role, with higher temperatures hindering relaxation and lower temperatures promoting a more efficient process. While the principles of collision and relaxation can be applied to many systems, the specific details and behaviors may vary depending on the characteristics of the system and the particles involved.
Can someone explain me (even in poor worda) the relationship between collision and relaxation? I mean, a structure is relaxed when the particles (or stars) inside have frequent collisions? Or not?An elliptical galaxy is a relaxed structure. Can i deacribe the internal stars with a maxwell-boltzmann velocity distribution? I know it is a general question but i want a general answer too. Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am afraid you will have to explain what you mean by "relaxed structure" here.

Suggested for: Relationship between collision and relaxation

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies