Relationship between Cp, Cv and R

In summary: The specific heat capacities would be appropriate if the mass of the gas was known, but the heat capacities would be the same if the number of moles of the gas was known.
PSN03
Homework Statement
Cp and Cv are specific heats at constant pressure and constant volume respectively. It is observed that
Cp−Cv =a for hydrogen gas
C p−Cv=b for nitrogen gas
The correct relation between a and b is :
Relevant Equations
Cp-Cv=R where R is gas constant
According to me a=b cause what I have been learning is R is gas constant and hence it will be same for both. But the solution have says something else.
According to them Cp-Cv=R/M where M is the molecular mass of gas.
So is the above mentioned formula correct? Do we have to take that M term always and in all the problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Meyer's relation can be written like$$C_p - C_v = nR$$where ##n## is the number of moles of the gas. Often you might want to consider the specific heat capacities, ##c_p = \frac{C_p}{M}## and ##c_v = \frac{C_v}{M}##, in which case$$c_p -c_v = \frac{nR}{M} = \frac{R}{\mu}$$where ##\mu = \frac{M}{n}## is the molar mass of the gas

(To make matters more confusing, sometimes people use the lower-case notation for molar heat capacities instead, i.e. defining ##c_p = \frac{C_p}{n}## and ##c_v = \frac{C_v}{n}##, in which case Meyer's relation reads ##c_p - c_v = R##)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PSN03
etotheipi said:
If that is the original problem statement, then it's a really poorly worded question. Meyer's relation can be written like$$C_p - C_v = nR$$where ##n## is the number of moles of the gas. Often you might want to consider the specific heat capacities, ##c_p = \frac{C_p}{M}## and ##c_v = \frac{C_v}{M}##, in which case$$c_p -c_v = \frac{nR}{M} = \frac{R}{\mu}$$where ##\mu = \frac{M}{n}## is the molecular mass of the gas. To make matters more confusing, sometimes people use the lower-case notation for molar heat capacities, i.e. defining ##c_p = \frac{C_p}{n}## and ##c_v = \frac{C_v}{n}##, in which case Meyer's relation reads$$c_p - c_v = R$$Really the question is unanswerable unless you know whether the heat capacities are specific or molar. Furthermore, are we to assume that the mass, or alternatively the number of moles, is fixed?
Thanks a lot for your help. By the way only that much information is provided.
can I conclude that Cp/n is molar heat capacity and Cp/M is specific heat capacity and Cp is just heat capacity, right?

Yes, by specific it means per unit mass, and the correct relation in this case will be ##c_p - c_v = \frac{R}{\mu}##. More generally, it should be fairly clear from context which definition is being used, but it's something to be careful about!

Likes PSN03
etotheipi said:
Yes, by specific it means per unit mass, and the correct relation in this case will be ##c_p - c_v = \frac{R}{\mu}##. More generally, it should be fairly clear from context which definition is being used, but it's something to be careful about!
Thanks a lot for your help. I was beating my head about this problem for long but finally it's done. Good day and stay safe 😊

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
Meyer's relation can be written like$$C_p - C_v = nR$$where ##n## is the number of moles of the gas. Often you might want to consider the specific heat capacities, ##c_p = \frac{C_p}{M}## and ##c_v = \frac{C_v}{M}##, in which case$$c_p -c_v = \frac{nR}{M} = \frac{R}{\mu}$$where ##\mu = \frac{M}{n}## is the molar mass of the gas

(To make matters more confusing, sometimes people use the lower-case notation for molar heat capacities instead, i.e. defining ##c_p = \frac{C_p}{n}## and ##c_v = \frac{C_v}{n}##, in which case Meyer's relation reads ##c_p - c_v = R##)
I don’t think so, if Cp and Cv are the molar heat capacities, then Cp -Cv= R (without the n).

Likes etotheipi
Chestermiller said:
I don’t think so, if Cp and Cv are the molar heat capacities, then Cp -Cv= R (without the n).

I used ##C_v## and ##C_p## for the extensive heat capacity, and ##c_p## and ##c_v## for the specific heat capacity. Then in the note at the end I mentioned that if ##c_p## and ##c_v## are instead molar heat capacities, the relation is ##c_p - c_v = R## like you say. I don't know what notation is most widely used, though!

etotheipi said:
I used ##C_v## and ##C_p## for the extensive heat capacity, and ##c_p## and ##c_v## for the specific heat capacity. Then in the note at the end I mentioned that if ##c_p## and ##c_v## are instead molar heat capacities, the relation is ##c_p - c_v = R## like you say. I don't know what notation is most widely used, though!
It seemed to me that the OP in post #1 was asking about the molar heat capacities.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the relationship between Cp, Cv, and R?

The relationship between Cp (specific heat at constant pressure), Cv (specific heat at constant volume), and R (gas constant) is given by the equation: Cp - Cv = R. This means that the difference between the specific heats at constant pressure and constant volume is equal to the gas constant.

2. How are Cp and Cv related to the internal energy of a gas?

Cp and Cv are both related to the internal energy of a gas through the equation: U = nCvΔT, where U is the change in internal energy, n is the number of moles of gas, Cv is the specific heat at constant volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What is the significance of the ratio between Cp and Cv?

The ratio between Cp and Cv, also known as the adiabatic index or heat capacity ratio, is an important factor in determining the behavior of gases. It is used in thermodynamics to calculate the change in temperature of a gas when it is compressed or expanded.

4. How does the value of R differ for different gases?

The value of R, the gas constant, is different for different gases. It is dependent on the molecular weight and the number of moles of the gas. For example, R for air is 0.287 kJ/molK, while R for helium is 2.08 kJ/molK.

5. Can the values of Cp, Cv, and R change for a single gas?

No, the values of Cp, Cv, and R are constant for a single gas at a given temperature and pressure. However, they may vary for different gases or at different conditions.