Relationship between Heat Capacity Cv for Different Models

In summary, the heat capacity C_V for a van der Waals gas is larger than that for an ideal gas, as it takes into account the attractive forces between particles. However, at large specific volumes, the two models converge and have the same heat capacity.
A Story of a Student
Homework Statement
Derived a relationship between heat capacity C_V described as ideal and van der waals gas.
Relevant Equations
Ideal gas/ Van der waals gas equations; Equation of heat capacity, and any thermodynamic equation that may be helpful
I think the C_V for van der waals gas will be larger than ideal gas since it‘s a more precise description. However, for the relationship I cannot come up with a specific equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
A Story of a Student said:
Homework Statement:: Derived a relationship between heat capacity C_V described as ideal and van der waals I think the C_V for van der waals gas will be larger than ideal gas since it‘s a more precise description. However, for the relationship I cannot come up with a specific equation.

Instead of guessing, why not work it out and compare? Start with what you know about each model and go from there. If you are stuck, post what you have so far and people will help.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
What is the general equation for dU as a function of dT and dV?

Chestermiller said:
What is the general equation for dU as a function of dT and dV?
$$dU=C_V dT+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_{T}dV$$

$$dU=C_V dT+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_{T}dV$$
Are you also familiar with the following relationship?: $$\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T=-\left[P-T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]$$

Chestermiller said:
Are you also familiar with the following relationship?: $$\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T=-\left[P-T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]$$
Yes! We have derived that as a homework assignment. However, how do I go from this to heat capacity?
Btw thanks for the help!

Yes! We have derived that as a homework assignment. However, how do I go from this to heat capacity?
Btw thanks for the help!

Substitute that expression, evaluated with VdW equation, into the one in post #4 and integrate.

• Love
Likes A Story of a Student
Btw thanks for the help!
Substitute the van der waals equation into the right hand side of that relationship, and then take the partial derivative of both sides of the resulting equation with respect to T at constant V. What do you get?

I have tried to do that, I got $$dU=C_VdT+\frac{n^2a}{V^2}dV$$ and the integration (which I am not sure if this is correct) gives me $$\Delta U=C_V\Delta T-\frac{n^2a}{V}$$ Is so far the calculation correct?

The equation is supposed to be in terms of specific volumes, not volumes, so lose the n's. I get:
$$\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T=-\frac{a}{V^2}$$So taking the partial derivative of this with respect to T at constant V yields: $$\frac{\partial ^2 U}{\partial V\partial T}=\frac{\partial ^2 U}{\partial T\partial V}=\frac{\partial C_v}{\partial V}=0$$What does this tell you about how Cv at a finite specific volume for a van der Waals gas compares with Cv for the same gas in the ideal gas limit of infinite specific volume.

Chestermiller said:
specific volumes, not volumes, so lose the n's. I get:
Sorry I did not follow. For $$-[P-T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V]=-[\frac{nRT}{V-nb}-\frac{n^2a}{V^2}-T\frac{nR}{V-nb}]=\frac{n^2a}{V^2}$$ right? Even dropping the n will give positive results.

So taking the partial derivatives with respect to T means Cv for vdw gas does not change with volume? This equation is derived based on the model of vdw gas. For ideal gas, dU/dV=0. That's all I've gotten so far...

mfig said:
Substitute that expression, evaluated with VdW equation, into the one in post #4 and integrate.
If the integration of post 9 were right, does it imply that for $$\Delta T C_{V,ideal}=\Delta U$$ since dU/dV=0; for vdw gas, we have an extra positive term added on the dU side that makes it bigger?
$$\Delta T C_{V,vdw}=\Delta U+\frac{n^2a}{V^2}$$

...the integration (which I am not sure if this is correct) gives me $$\Delta U=C_V\Delta T-\frac{n^2a}{V}$$ Is so far the calculation correct?

With indefinite integration, you would get:

##U = C_v T - a/V##

What this means is that the plot of U vs. T for some fixed volume VdW gass (think of a plot of U as a function of T for a fixed volume) is offset from the plot of U vs. T at that fixed volume for an IG, but the lines are parallel, i.e., they have the same slope. The slope of such a plot (U vs. T for fixed V) is some thermodynamic property (hint, hint)!

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes MatinSAR and A Story of a Student
Then you’re missing a factor of n in front of the Cv.

A vdw gas approaches ideal gas at large specific volumes. So Cv for a vdw gas of any volume is equal to Cv for the same gas in the ideal gas limit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes MatinSAR

1. What is heat capacity and why is it important?

Heat capacity, denoted as Cv, is a measure of the amount of heat energy that is required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is important because it helps us understand how much heat energy a substance can absorb or release and how it will respond to changes in temperature.

2. How does heat capacity vary among different models?

The heat capacity of a substance can vary depending on its physical properties, such as mass, composition, and molecular structure. Different models of a substance may have different physical properties, leading to variations in their heat capacities.

3. What factors affect the heat capacity of a substance?

The heat capacity of a substance is influenced by several factors, including its mass, composition, temperature, and pressure. Additionally, the molecular structure and intermolecular forces within a substance can also affect its heat capacity.

4. How is heat capacity measured for different models?

Heat capacity can be measured experimentally by applying a known amount of heat energy to a substance and measuring the resulting change in temperature. This process can be repeated for different models of the substance to determine their respective heat capacities.

5. Can heat capacity be used to predict the behavior of different models?

Yes, heat capacity can provide valuable insights into how different models of a substance will respond to changes in temperature. It can also help predict how much heat energy will be required to raise the temperature of a substance and how it will affect its phase changes or chemical reactions.