Relative Max/Min: Solving for Minimum in f(x)

• Thread starter barbet_psg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, to find the relative minimum of a function, take the derivative and set it to zero to find where the slope levels off. Then, use the "first derivative test" to determine if the critical point is a minimum or maximum. For a positive cubic function, the relative minimum will always occur at the left endpoint of the interval. In general, the second derivative test should be used, comparing endpoint values as well.
barbet_psg
I'm taking AP Calc AB this year and this is a question I've come across while doing work on my own and I won't be seeing my teacher for a few days, so I' figured I'd ask some of you guys. Let's say you have an equation f(x)=(x^3)+(5x^2) and you need to find the relative minimum of that function. Take the derivative and set it to zero to find where the slope levels off, but how do you know which of the two x values gives the minimum? Is it a common sense type thing, because I know that with such a simple function you can deduce that, because it's a positive cubic function, the maximum will come first, and so naturally the minimum will be the larger x value, but is there a more mathematical way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Just kidding, I found out how to do it. Pretty easy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So we don't need to talk about second derivatives?

You don't need to. The "first derivative test" says that if, at a critical point, the first derivative changes from positive to negative (so the function values are going up, then down), then the critical point is a maximum, if negative to positive, a minimum. Of course, if the first derivative is going from positive to negative, it is an decreasing function and so its derivative, the second derivative of the function, is negative.

In the case of a positive cubic function like the above, the relative minimum would always occur at the left endpoint of the interval on which it is being evaluated because it's always increasing. Likewise for the relative maximum. Right?

In general though, you use the second derivative test. (That's the short answer.) But even then, you should check endpoint values and compare.

What is a relative maximum in f(x)?

A relative maximum in f(x) is the highest point on a graph of a function within a specific interval. It is also known as a local maximum, as it is only the highest point within a certain range and there may be a higher point on the graph outside of that range.

How do you find the relative maximum of a function?

To find the relative maximum of a function, you can use the first derivative test. Take the first derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the critical values, which are the x-values where the slope of the function is equal to zero. Plug these values into the original function to find the corresponding y-values. The highest y-value will be the relative maximum.

Can a function have more than one relative maximum?

Yes, a function can have more than one relative maximum. This can occur when there are multiple peaks on the graph of the function within a specific interval. Each peak will have its own corresponding relative maximum.

What is a relative minimum in f(x)?

A relative minimum in f(x) is the lowest point on a graph of a function within a specific interval. It is also known as a local minimum, as it is only the lowest point within a certain range and there may be a lower point on the graph outside of that range.

How do you find the relative minimum of a function?

To find the relative minimum of a function, you can use the first derivative test. Take the first derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the critical values, which are the x-values where the slope of the function is equal to zero. Plug these values into the original function to find the corresponding y-values. The lowest y-value will be the relative minimum.