Relative Velocities: Plane Displacement from City in 2h Time

  • Thread starter Thread starter slpnsldr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
slpnsldr
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The wind is blowing at 72km/h south relative to the earth, and a plane is traveling 320km/h (28 degrees south of west relative to the wind) directly above a city. give displacement from the city in 2h time


Homework Equations


Plane is P wind is W Earth is E

VPW=VPE+VWE



The Attempt at a Solution



re arrange to find that
VPE=VPW-VWE
VPE=248km/h

The only thing I don't understand is how to determine the new angle of the plane to the earth...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi slpnsldr. Your formula was incorrect. It should look like this
[tex]\vec{_{p}V_{E}}=\vec{_{p}V_{w}}+\vec{_{w}V_{E}}[/tex]

Notice when you add these relative velocities, the subscript "w" cancel each other out. And that is the only trick to it.
 
ok, I've figured out my displacement.. but I am still unclear about how to find the planes new angle
somethign to do with the sine law?
 
slpnsldr said:
ok, I've figured out my displacement.. but I am still unclear about how to find the planes new angle
somethign to do with the sine law?

Oh, that might be hard to explain without a diagram. Maybe you need to include a diagram.