Relative velocity practice exam question

In summary: FROM this direction ... so it's (-S) ... or N.Plane velocity is due North (160knots), but it also has to compensate for the wind ... so we can apply the reverse wind vector (remember vectors?):160knots due North-30sin(30) = -15knots (E) ... or W (that's leftward on the diagram)-30cos(30) = -25.98knots (N) ... or S (that's downward on the diagram)Resultant velocity = 160 (due North) - 15 (E) - 25.98 (N) = 160-15-25.98 =
izelkay

Homework Statement

I would like to check my answers for #3 on this practice exam:
http://cyclotron.tamu.edu/dhy/sample_exam1_phys218.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

b) v(plane-wind)x = 30cos30
v(plane-wind)y= 30sin30 + 160

c) 8.44° East of North
d) 1.4 hours

Is this correct or wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We get this sort of question a lot.
The core problem is that you don't know how to tell if your answers are correct or not.
You need to figure it out because you are supposedly training to tackle problems where nobody knows the answer: so there is nobody to ask. At best you'll find out that someone else ends up with the same figures as you - bet they could have made the same mistakes.

How do you tell?

One way is to see if the physical ideas match the end result.

The problem has a pilot tasked with traveling due north (from CLL to 76F) - a wopping 176 nanometers (I'm guessing "nm" means "nautical miles" here - should be M, NM, or nmi). Airspeed is 160knots. The 30knot wind comes in from 30deg west of North.

If the aircraft were to point due North, then the wind will tend to blow it east and south. To correct the pilot will want to turn into the wind ... towards the west. Make sense?

Yeah, that's how I approached the problem. (The wind is approaching from East of North though, not West of North). I feel like I did it right, but I just don't know. I'll just have to go to my professor's open office hours, I guess. Thank you for replying.

<rereads> Oh yes - so it is :/ well done spotting the deliberate mistake ... erm.
note: sin(30)=1/2 =0.5, cos(30)=√3/2 ≈0.87

Wind vector components would be:
30sin(30) = 15knots (W)
30cos(30) = 25.98knots (S)

I cannot confirm the accuracy of your answers without knowing the specific question and understanding the context of the problem. However, I can provide some general feedback on your approach and equations used.

Firstly, it is important to clearly state the question you are referring to, as there may be multiple #3 questions on the practice exam.

Secondly, when solving for relative velocity, it is important to consider the vector components and direction. It seems like you have correctly identified the x and y components, but it would be helpful to label them as such in your equations (e.g. v(plane-wind)x = 30cos30° and v(plane-wind)y = 30sin30° + 160).

For part c), it is important to specify the reference direction for the angle. In this case, it seems like you have correctly identified the angle as 8.44°, but it would be helpful to specify that it is measured east of north.

Lastly, for part d), it is important to specify the units for the time. It seems like you have correctly calculated the time as 1.4 hours, but it would be helpful to specify that it is in hours.

Overall, your approach and equations seem to be on the right track, but it would be helpful to provide more context and clarify the units and directions in your answers.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It is the difference in the velocities of two objects moving in different directions.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to find the difference between the velocities of the two objects. This can be done by subtracting the velocity of the second object from the velocity of the first object.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of one object in relation to a fixed point. Relative velocity is a vector quantity, while absolute velocity is a scalar quantity.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions.

5. How does relative velocity affect collisions between objects?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions between objects. The relative velocities of the objects before and after the collision will determine the amount of energy transferred and the resulting change in motion of the objects.