Did I do this question correctly?

• Thread starter izelkay
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a tanker with a given force and mass, and the solution involves using the equations F=ma and v²=v0²+2aΔx to find the acceleration and displacement of the tanker. The use of work and energy concepts is also mentioned as an alternative solution method.
izelkay

Homework Statement

http://cyclotron.tamu.edu/dhy/sample_exam1_phys218.pdf

For Number 2 Part a

Homework Equations

v0 = 1.7 m/s
F = ma
v = 0m/s
v² = v0² + 2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

Spent like 30 minutes trying to use a constant acceleration kinematics equation, but nothing seemed to work without knowing either the time or the acceleration.
Then I remembered that F = ma, and the problem gave me the force (9.8*10^4N) and the mass (3.6*10^7kg). So I solved for a, and got -0.00272 m/s².

I plugged this acceleration into v² = v0² + 2aΔx and solved for Δx, and I got 530.82 meters. Is this correct? If not, can anyone help me understand what I did wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good!

For C of that question, would I use the final velocity I obtained from part b as the new initial velocity, and 0 as the final velocity, solve for acceleration using v² = v0² + 2aΔx (Δx being 1.5m), and multiply that acceleration by the mass of the tanker?

That sounds good, too. Or, you could use work and energy concepts if you're familiar with them.

Awesome; thanks. We haven't gotten to the work and energy stuff yet.

OK. Good work!

Related to Did I do this question correctly?

1. How do I know if I did this question correctly?

You can check your answer by comparing it to the correct solution provided in the answer key or by asking a teacher or tutor for feedback.

2. What should I do if I am unsure about my answer to a question?

If you are unsure about your answer, you can try re-reading the question and checking your work for any errors. You can also ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

3. Can I redo a question if I think I did it incorrectly?

It is always a good idea to double check your work and make corrections if needed. However, if you have already submitted your work, you may need to speak with your teacher about the possibility of redoing the question.

4. Is there a certain method or approach I should use to answer a question correctly?

The best approach to answering a question correctly will depend on the type of question and the subject matter. It is important to carefully read and understand the question, and use any relevant formulas or strategies that you have learned.

5. How important is it to get a question correct?

While it is important to strive for accuracy in your work, it is also important to remember that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process. If you get a question wrong, use it as an opportunity to identify areas where you may need to review or practice more.