Relatively prime isomorphism groups

In summary, the student is trying to construct a homomorphism from Z/mZ to Z/nZ, but is lost. He is trying to define g(i) for any integer i, but is not sure if it is an isomorphism. He is trying to show that f is an isomorphism, but does not know how to do so. He thinks that f(x) = (x mod(m), x mod(n)), for any x in Z/mnZ.
dim&dimmer

Homework Statement

Show that Z/mZ X Z/nZ isomorphic to Z/mnZ iff m and n are relatively prime.
(Using first isomorphism theorem)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, first I want to construct a hom f : Z/mZ X Z/nZ ---> Z/mnZ
I have
f(1,0).m = 0(mod mn) = f(m,0) = f(e) = e and
f(0,1).n = 0(mod mn) ...

Now f(1,0) = kn for some k because f(1,0).m has to be divisible by mn
and f(0,1) = lm likewise

My hom is f(a,b) = a.f(1,0) + b.f(0,1)

Does this make sense?

If so, then I have to show that ker(f) is trivial to prove f is an iso.
ker(f)(a,b) = (0,0)
So f(a,b) = akn + blm
and I have to show akn +blm = 0.

I find this all very confusing so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dim

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the hint was to use the 1st Isom Thm, why don't you define a homomorphism g from Z onto Z/mZ x Z/nZ, such that ker g is mnZ.

Ok, this sounds good but I haven't got a clue about how to start doing it.
Would the isomorphism then end up looking something like

f : Z/ker(g) ---> Z/mZ x Z/nZ

==> f : Z/mnZ --> Z/mZ x Z/nZ (as ker(g) = mnZ)

Any tips on constructing the hom g:Z -->Z/mZ xZ/nZ would be appreciated, I've got to the stage where I can't even think, maybe a break for a day or two.
I know g(mn) = (00), but lost as to how to construct this.

dim&dimmer said:
Any tips on constructing the hom g:Z -->Z/mZ xZ/nZ would be appreciated

Define g(i)=(thing1,thing2). Usually in these problems the thing1 and thing2 are very simple. By very simple, I mean that someone not even in your class could possibly guess them correctly. Try something, and see if it works.

Well, I am none the wiser, you'll have to dumb it down for me, for g(i) does i represent the identity or neutral element, would g(i) = (0,0) ?
Still lost

Z is a free abelian group with one generator. You should know what every homomorphism Z --> A looks like, no matter what abelian group A happens to be.

dim&dimmer said:
Any tips on constructing the hom g:Z -->Z/mZ xZ/nZ would be appreciated

I'm just using i to denote an integer. The domain of g is Z, so for any integer i, you have to define g(i). Since g(i) is in Z/mZ xZ/nZ, you know g(i) is some ordered pair. The first component of that ordered pair will be some function of i. What's the easiest function you know? The output must be in Z/mZ, of course, but if you accidentally forget that, you might guess right anyway. The second component of that ordered pair will be some function of i. What's the easiest function you know? So define g(i) to be (easy1,easy2) and then see if it's a homomorphism. See what its kernel is. See if it is onto. If you are lucky, you will guess right and you'll be done. If not, try again. Post your attempts.

Attempt 1: Define
g : Z --> Z/mZ x Z/nZ, z |---> (z (mod m), z (mod(n))

Since domain and range are abelian g is a homomorphism as
g(ab) = (a+b mod(m), a+b mod(n)) = (a mod(m), a mod(n)) + (b mod(m), b mod(n)) = g(a) + g(b)

ker (g) = mnZ ,as n(m.z mod(m)) = n.0 = 0

g is onto.

I think this is right, so the first part is done. Now I have to show that

f : Z/ker(g) ---> im(g) is an isomorphism.

==> f : Z/mnZ --> Z/mZ x Z/nZ

I think that f(x) = (x mod(m), x mod(n)), for any x in Z/mnZ. Is this right??

So f is a homomorphism, using same argument as for g (abelian).
Then, if ker(f) is trivial, f is an isomorphism.

Suppose f(z) = (0,0), then g(z) = (0,0)

So, if f maps any z in Z/mnZ to e, so that z is an element of ker(f), then the only z it can map is equal to e.
Therefore, ker(f) = {e}, and f is an isomorphism.

While this looks ok to me, I know it is incorrect as I have failed to address the
"iff m and n are relatively prime" part.

I'd really appreciate a bit more "concrete" help if possible, I know that you want me to think it out for myself, but I've already spent far too much time on this problem relative to its overall course mark.

Dim.

dim&dimmer said:
Attempt 1: Define
g : Z --> Z/mZ x Z/nZ, z |---> (z (mod m), z (mod(n))

Since domain and range are abelian g is a homomorphism as
g(ab) = (a+b mod(m), a+b mod(n)) = (a mod(m), a mod(n)) + (b mod(m), b mod(n)) = g(a) + g(b)

ker (g) = mnZ ,as n(m.z mod(m)) = n.0 = 0

g is onto.

I think this is right, so the first part is done. Now I have to show that

f : Z/ker(g) ---> im(g) is an isomorphism.

It is an isomorphism by the First Isomorphism Theorem, so you are now done with one part.

While this looks ok to me, I know it is incorrect as I have failed to address the
"iff m and n are relatively prime" part.

Hmm, well, I guess you didn't completely show ker(g) = mnZ. You have one inclusion ("is a subset of," or "contains," which one?), but don't you need relatively prime to get the other inclusion?

As for the if and only if part, just assume m and n are not relatively prime, and show the two groups in question can not be isomorphic. You could consider the order of the identity element. Come to think of it, that might have been an easier way to do the whole darn thing (the word "cyclic" comes to mind).

OK, the first isom thm is a nice way to do it. To see how to finish it, just look at example.

g: Z -> Z/6Z x Z/10Z given by g(i)=(i,i) where first component is mod 6 and second is mod 10. What is ker g? Well, i is in ker g iff i=0 mod 6 and i=0 mod 10. So i is divisible by 6 and by 10. Iff i is divisible by 30. Note Z/30Z has 30 elements but Z/6Z x Z/10Z has 60. Therefore not isomorphic.

Replace 10 by 5 to get another example. Use m and n in general to write up your proof. Hope that's more concrete.

ok,
Z/mZ is a cyclic group (iso to Z mod(m)) with order m, and Z/nZ has order n.
Isomorphism preserves orders so ker(g) = mnZ iff m and n are coprime, so that the order of Z/mZ x Z/nZ is mn.
Does this complete the proof

What is a relatively prime isomorphism group?

A relatively prime isomorphism group is a mathematical concept that refers to a group of numbers or elements that have no common factors other than 1. In other words, the numbers in the group are all relatively prime to each other.

How is a relatively prime isomorphism group different from a regular isomorphism group?

The main difference between a relatively prime isomorphism group and a regular isomorphism group is that the elements in a relatively prime group are not only isomorphic to each other, but they are also relatively prime. This added condition allows for more specific and unique properties within the group.

What are some examples of relatively prime isomorphism groups?

Some examples of relatively prime isomorphism groups include the set of all prime numbers, the set of all integers greater than 1 that are co-prime to 10, and the set of all positive integers that are co-prime to each other.

What are the applications of relatively prime isomorphism groups?

Relatively prime isomorphism groups have applications in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, abstract algebra, and cryptography. They can also be used to solve problems related to factorization, divisibility, and prime numbers.

How can one determine if a group of numbers is a relatively prime isomorphism group?

To determine if a group of numbers is a relatively prime isomorphism group, one can use the Euclidean algorithm to check if the numbers are relatively prime to each other. Additionally, checking if the group satisfies the properties of an isomorphism group, such as closure, identity element, and inverses, can also help identify a relatively prime isomorphism group.