Can a Slower Spacecraft Overtake a Faster One in Relativistic Travel?

• Thread starter robertbogdon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativistic
In summary: The ship will experience 17 years of time on its journey..5c: The distance is contracted by the factor of 1.1547 and the distance is 14.73 ly. The ship will experience 29.46 years of time.In summary, the answer to the question is that the faster ship would arrive first, regardless of whether it is traveling slightly faster or slightly slower. This is due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction at extremely high speeds.
robertbogdon
I've run into a scenario in a sci-fi rpg that I'm running and I haven't been able to come up with a satisfactory answer on my own. Assuming a ship traveling at .9999c, would it be possible for another ship traveling from the same origin to the same destination, but launched later, to arrive first, either by traveling slightly faster, or (and this hurts my brain) traveling slower?

Physics news on Phys.org
robertbogdon said:
I've run into a scenario in a sci-fi rpg that I'm running and I haven't been able to come up with a satisfactory answer on my own. Assuming a ship traveling at .9999c, would it be possible for another ship traveling from the same origin to the same destination, but launched later, to arrive first, either by traveling slightly faster, or (and this hurts my brain) traveling slower?

Well, it depends. If your first ship traveling at .9999c left Earth and headed to the moon at Time A, and your second ship traveling slightly faster (.99999999c) left at Time B (1*10-8 after...let's say) later, then the second ship would arrive at the moon before the first.

As for slower, you didn't say they take the same path, so technically the slower ship could arrive before the faster one if it's path was enough shorter. If they traveled in the same direction, the ship leaving later and traveling slower would always arrive after the first ship.

curiousphoton said:
Well, it depends. If your first ship traveling at .9999c left Earth and headed to the moon at Time A, and your second ship traveling slightly faster (.99999999c) left at Time B (1*10-8 after...let's say) later, then the second ship would arrive at the moon before the first.

As for slower, you didn't say they take the same path, so technically the slower ship could arrive before the faster one if it's path was enough shorter. If they traveled in the same direction, the ship leaving later and traveling slower would always arrive after the first ship.

In general I'm assuming the same path, or at least close enough that it probably doesn't make a significant difference when traveling at those speeds. I guess the thing that still confuses me is how all of the works out from the point of view of an observer on Earth. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that from the point of view of someone on Earth, a ship traveling slower could reach the destination and return before the faster ship reaches the destination.

robertbogdon said:
My understanding, which could be wrong, is that from the point of view of someone on Earth, a ship traveling slower could reach the destination and return before the faster ship reaches the destination.

What makes you think that?

curiousphoton said:
What makes you think that?

In this case, the distance is about 17 light years. Really rough numbers, it's about 17 years from the point of view of the ship traveling at .9999c, and about 1200 years from the point of view of someone on Earth. Now a second ship traveling at .5c, it's 34 years from their point of view, but 39 years from the point of view of someone on Earth. Of course, that assumes I got all the math right.

At the very least, that leaves me with trying to figure out which ship would actually get there first. It certainly makes sense that the faster ship would get there first, but I have to say I'm still very confused. At this point I'm mostly trying to figure it out for my own benefit, it's a sci-fi game, physics works however I say it does, but I'd still like it to be as close to the real world as possible, ignoring some of the glaring errors I've already made.

robertbogdon said:
In this case, the distance is about 17 light years.

In what case? If it's the case I gave in my example (ship traveling from Earth to moon) than I assure you the distance is not 17 light years. When doing any type of calculation in life, ALWAYS ask yourself "Does my answer make sense?"

It didn't take Apollo 11 (17) light years to reach the moon in 1969. It didn't take them 17 years, or even 17 days.

You have to consider the expansion of space as well, and the period during which the ship must brake, which would take a long time. I don't think you've given enough information to accurately answer you.

robertbogdon said:
In this case, the distance is about 17 light years. Really rough numbers, it's about 17 years from the point of view of the ship traveling at .9999c, and about 1200 years from the point of view of someone on Earth. Now a second ship traveling at .5c, it's 34 years from their point of view, but 39 years from the point of view of someone on Earth. Of course, that assumes I got all the math right.

At the very least, that leaves me with trying to figure out which ship would actually get there first. It certainly makes sense that the faster ship would get there first, but I have to say I'm still very confused. At this point I'm mostly trying to figure it out for my own benefit, it's a sci-fi game, physics works however I say it does, but I'd still like it to be as close to the real world as possible, ignoring some of the glaring errors I've already made.

Eerh... no. Okay let's do the example with two ships going a distance of 17ly. One moves at .9999c and the other at .5c.

We on Earth see the following:
.9999c: For all intents and purposes this is measured as c to those of us on earth. So we view the ship as taking 17 years to arrive at its destination (17ly/speed of light).
.5c: 17ly/(.5*c) is 34 ly. So we one Earth see this ship take twice as long as the first ship to arrive. Nothing tricky here.

On board the spaceships:
.9999c: The 17ly distance is shrunk to look like .24ly. So it takes them about .24 years, or ~3 months to get there from their perspective.
.5c: The 17ly distance is shrunk to look like 14.7ly, so it takes them about 29.4 years.

Now that we have correct numbers, what exactly is your question?

What is relativistic interception?

Relativistic interception is a concept in physics that refers to the interception of a moving object by another object or observer, taking into account the effects of relativity.

How is relativistic interception different from regular interception?

Regular interception does not take into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, whereas relativistic interception does. This means that relativistic interception calculations are more accurate for high-speed objects.

What is the equation for relativistic interception?

The equation for relativistic interception is d = v*t/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)), where d is the distance between the moving object and the intercepting object, v is the velocity of the moving object, t is the time of interception, and c is the speed of light.

Can relativistic interception be applied to any speed?

Relativistic interception is most accurate for high-speed objects, as the effects of relativity become more significant at these speeds. However, it can still be used for lower speeds, but the effects of relativity may be negligible.

How is relativistic interception used in real-world applications?

Relativistic interception is used in various fields such as astronomy, aerospace engineering, and missile defense systems. It allows for more accurate predictions and calculations for objects moving at high speeds, which is crucial in these fields.