Relativistic Momentum and Kinetic Energy

In summary, the speed of an electron with a momentum of p=5 MeV/c is found using the equation u=\pm\frac{cp}{\sqrt{c^2m^2+p^2}} to be 0.995 times the speed of light. The units of MeV/c^2 and MeV/c can be used to solve for speed without the need for conversion.
erok81

Homework Statement

What is the speed of an electron (me=0.511 MeV/c2) with a momentum p=5 MeV/c.

Homework Equations

Starting with momentum:

[tex]p=\gamma mu[/tex]

Then solving for u:

[tex]u=\pm\frac{cp}{\sqrt{c^2m^2+p^2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never dealt with these units before (MeV/c2 and MeV/c) so I am not sure what to do with them. Can one use those values to solve for speed? I solved it (getting 0.993c) but I converted everything to kg and kg*m/s and the solved from there.

Is there an easy way to convert (if I have to)? I ended up using a calculator online to find values. But I'd rather understand them better.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi erok81! :smile:
(have a gamma: γ and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
erok81 said:
I've never dealt with these units before (MeV/c^2 and MeV/c) so I am not sure what to do with them. Can one use those values to solve for speed?

yes

if in doubt, look at the units given to you …

the whole of that square-root bracket is in units of MeV/c2 squared times c2, and (MeV/c)2, which are the same, and the top line is the square-root of that …

everything is in the same units, so the whole thing is just a dimensionless number, just like v/c (you don't even need to convert from MeV to eV) :wink:

Oh hey, what do you know, it worked.

I tried it once before after I solved it using my know units and it didn't match. Now I see why...I messed up the m2 under the radical.

My answer is slightly different, so I'll go back and change it. (0.995 vs. 0.993)

Thanks for the help.

And thanks for pointing out the super/subscript buttons. I never saw those and didn't like using LaTeX in the middle of a sentence just for that.

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity, adjusted for special relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Classical momentum, also known as Newtonian momentum, is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of special relativity, including the speed of light being the maximum speed limit for all objects.

3. What is the equation for calculating relativistic momentum?

The equation for relativistic momentum is p = mv/√(1-v²/c²), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light. This equation is derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity.

4. How does relativistic momentum relate to kinetic energy?

Relativistic momentum is directly proportional to kinetic energy. This means that as an object's relativistic momentum increases, so does its kinetic energy. This relationship is described by the equation K = (γ-1)mc², where K is kinetic energy, γ is the Lorentz factor (1/√(1-v²/c²)), m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

5. Can an object with zero mass have relativistic momentum?

According to the equation for relativistic momentum, an object with zero mass would have an undefined momentum. This is because the equation includes the term for mass in the denominator, meaning that if the mass is zero, the final result would be undefined. Therefore, only objects with non-zero mass can have relativistic momentum.