Understanding Relativistic Momentum Transformations - Homework Help Needed

In summary, the given problem involves a Lorentz transform for momentum, and the equation to be proved is 1/\sqrt{1-(u'/c)^2}=\gamma(1-(vu/c^2)/\sqrt{1-(u/c)^2}. However, without context or values for the variables, it is not possible to provide a solution or understand the purpose of the problem.
nilesthebrave

Homework Statement

Show that

1/[itex]\sqrt{1-(u'/c)^2}[/itex]=[itex]\gamma[/itex](1-(vu/c^2)/[itex]\sqrt{1-(u/c)^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I'm terrible with Latex I took a picture of what I have so far. I'm not sure where to go next or if I'm even on the right track.

My professor gave a hint that u'^2=(ux')^2+(uy')^2+(uz')^2

And that (u'/c)^2[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]1-(u'/c)^2[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] 1/(1-(u'/c)^2)^1/2

which I think just confused me more.

Thanks a lot

EDIT: Here's a link to the photo turned rightside up

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn310/nilesthebrave/2012-09-27_20-22-26_35.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-09-27_20-22-26_35.jpg
    2012-09-27_20-22-26_35.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
That's very difficult to show without knowing what u, v and u' are :)

Unfortunately, there are no values for anything. I turned the homework in today and my professor showed me how to do it. It was pretty messy.

Clamtrox's point was without knowing the complete problem statement, the relation in your original post is meaningless to us. We're not in the class you're taking, and we can't read your mind. You have to provide all of the relevant information.

And as I said, this is the EXACT problem I was given. This is all I had to work with, which is why I posted it here.

But my professor showed me how to do it after I turned it in so it's not an issue now.

I doubt that. There is some context to the problem that you (or your professor) omitted. The question, as it is now, is like "Show that a+b = c+d" without defining what a, b, c, and d are.

I can infer that your problem probably had something to do with velocity addition, but that would only be a guess.

Ah, sorry I guess I didn't realize I didn't explain that. :redface:

It was something to do with a Lorentz transform for momentum. I always forget that the same symbols and letters aren't used universally. I thought you were asking for values for each of the letters.

I guess that's where I was getting confused since the u's and v's are velocities(I think) and the c is the speed of light.

I don't know I've been looking at it a little today but it's not on the exam I have Monday so I'm saving it for after that.

Thanks for the responses, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.

nilesthebrave said:
Ah, sorry I guess I didn't realize I didn't explain that. :redface:

It was something to do with a Lorentz transform for momentum. I always forget that the same symbols and letters aren't used universally. I thought you were asking for values for each of the letters.

I guess that's where I was getting confused since the u's and v's are velocities(I think) and the c is the speed of light.

I don't know I've been looking at it a little today but it's not on the exam I have Monday so I'm saving it for after that.

Thanks for the responses, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.

If you really were given the problem in the form above, then I feel sorry for you... But maybe the problem relates to something done in lecture notes, maybe something where the details were left as an exercise? If you can't understand what the symbols mean, then what hope do you have of actually showing that?

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on the classical concept of momentum. It is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Unlike classical momentum, which is calculated using the object's mass and its velocity relative to a stationary observer, relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's mass and velocity.

3. What is the formula for calculating relativistic momentum?

The formula for relativistic momentum is p = mv/√(1-v²/c²), where p is the relativistic momentum, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

4. Why is relativistic momentum important?

Relativistic momentum is important because it allows us to accurately describe the motion of objects at high speeds, where classical mechanics would fail. It also helps to explain phenomena such as the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light.

5. How can relativistic momentum be experimentally proven?

There are a few experiments that have been conducted to prove the existence of relativistic momentum, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the particle accelerator experiments that have confirmed the predictions of special relativity. Additionally, the predictions of relativistic momentum have been used to successfully explain and predict various phenomena in the fields of astrophysics and particle physics.