Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

1. Sep 5, 2008 #1
    Assuming that I have a pretty good foundation of relativity (twin paradox, pole paradox, Lorentz transformations, four vectors, etc.), and I have a good foundation of the preliminaries of quantum mechanics (up to spin, angular momentum, etc... a bit of time-dependent perturbation theory and identical particles theory), would it be appropriate to start studying relativistic quantum mechanics? If so, what would be a good place to start?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes it would be a great place to start :-)

The book I use is "Relativistic quantum mechanics and field theory" by Gross, Wiley. Pretty good. I also have some lecture notes which my professor have written.
  4. Sep 9, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

I concur with malawi-glenn: Gross has written an outstanding text; he writes clearly, and does the math in a very understandable fashion. He does a particularly nice job of showing how pair-production occurs for a relativistic boson going through a Coulomb barrier. Also. it's nicely structured for self study.

Reilly Atkinson
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?