Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    Does the reason for the incompatibility between Relativity Theory and Quantum Theory lie in how Relativistic equations for the space-time manifolds taken on a differential scale differ from Quantum Theory's equations (I don't even know if they differ or if there are such equations...I'm only assuming)?

Edit: by any chance...am I just speaking nonsense? I only came across this question when reading on manifolds and assumed that Relativity Theory should compare to Quantum theory if space-time was zoomed to a differential scale.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2009 #2
    Gear, i think this question might do better in a different area like relativity or quantum theory.

4. Jul 1, 2009 #3
    I guess I'll re-post...thanks for the suggestion.

5. Jul 1, 2009 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I moved this thread to S and GR, and deleted the other thread which had no replies yet.

6. Jul 1, 2009 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

7. Jul 1, 2009 #6
    I see...so that is the case.

An additional question. I haven't studied Relativity in much depth, but by what I know, gravity in Relativity would be due to space-time curvature. I've also heard of work dealing with a particle of gravity (graviton), which seems to appear in more that than one theory...how would the concept of a particle fit in with space-time curvature?

8. Jul 1, 2009 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is one situation where gen. rel. and quantum theory have to apply at the same time, i.e. inside a black hole. Unfortunately they are incompatible there.

9. Jul 1, 2009 #8
    Oh, I see...would the reason be because of what was mentioned in my opening post? Also, how would a particle of gravity relate to space-time curvature?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook